For the Umpteenth Time - Rock, Dom, or Marans? (or all 3)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenoob, Nov 1, 2013.

1. chickenoob

chickenoob Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2013
    Puzzle time... and no pictures either, since I don't have enough posts yet!

Recently got my first batch of day old chicks. It included Barred Rock, Dominique, and Cuckoo Marans (2 of each, 6 total). 3 of them were DOA, so I now have 3 unidentified black chicks.

They started out looking exactly the same. Similar spots and coloring, and very heavy black splash down the unfeathered legs, so much that I really can't tell if the legs are more white or pink or yellow. They all had a small white head spot, white tipped wings, and white bellies. They aren't old enough yet to see the normal differences (rose comb vs. single comb, etc.)

Since 3 out of 6 died, I could have one each of the three different breeds. But it's equally likely I have 2 of one breed, 1 of another, and NONE of the third. I know the BR is closely related to the Dom, but not sure whether they develop at similar rates.

At just 2 weeks old now there are some major developmental differences. Mostly in the size and the tail feathers. I have two that are almost identical, and quite a bit larger than the third one. They also have very large tail feathers nearly 2 inches long already. The third chick is much smaller, and only has the hints of a beginning of a tail rump bump. Definitely no tail feathers yet. It's also much more of a silver-grey as opposed to the dark black of the other two. The third (small) chick is also far more aggressive towards the others and flighty around me. The two larger ones look very much alike and they are both noticeably more curious and friendly towards me.

Does any of that help you all rule in, or rule out, one of the three breeds? I would think the dramatic difference in tail feathering at 2 weeks would be a good clue for someone who knows these breeds, and maybe the size difference too. All of them seem to be eating equally well.

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer!

2. chickenoob

Nov 1, 2013
    Update - check my avatar picture to see the 3 black chicks, at present 17 days old. You can see the long tail feathers on 2 of them, and the smooth silvery rump of the third smaller one.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Most likely hatchery quality Barred Rocks. You have two pullets and cockerel, BTW.

4. chickenoob

Nov 1, 2013
    Thanks for your reply!

Since the hatchery tells me they shipped 2 of each kind, if it's 3 BR's that would definitely be a mistake by the hatchery, but anything's possible no doubt.

3 BRs with one being a cockerel would be a real downer after hoping for some Dominiques and Marans! =)

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Well, it is just too soon to tell whether they are hatchery BR or hatchery Doms. Often, there is very little difference other than the comb, frankly.

For certain, in your avatar are two long tailed females and the lighter colored, slower feathering chick is a male. That's all we can see and tell at this point.

Try posting them later on. 6 weeks is ideal. Barred birds are pretty easy to see what's what at that age.

6. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, that would be a downer! Don’t worry though... I heard Barred Rocks are really sweet and lay a good amount of eggs too!They will probably make you just as happy as the Marans and Dominques would have!( If they are barred rocks.) I was thinking of getting some BRs so tell me how they are. I agree with the above poster. It is a bit too early to tell what breed!Good luck to you and your baby chicks [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  7. chickenoob

Nov 1, 2013
    Thanks! Will post more pics after a few weeks then. Combs aren't really out yet at this stage, but looking really close it seems the 2 larger birds have a single row while the smaller grey has what looks more like a "pad" for lack of a better word. Could be a Dom cockerel and 2 BR pullets (or 2 Cuckoo Marans I guess since they are single comb also).

More later, thanks again!

8. chickenoob

Nov 1, 2013
    Do Doms, Rocks, and Marans pullets all have equally well developed tail feathers by 2 or 3 weeks old generally? The Speckled Sussex chicks don't, but that's the extent of what I know.

9. A roo or two

A roo or two Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    Okay here is my experience. I have had both Doms and BRs. I could easily tell a straight comb from a rose comb by two weeks. I have three Doms, two from one place and one from somewhere else. I acquired them all at two weeks. The one single chick was slow to feather, had no tail for the longest time and had a wide based rose comb. The other two had two inches of tail at two weeks and feathered much more quickly but one was softer in color than the other. Even with the drastic differences all three are pullets.

10. A roo or two

A roo or two Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    Oh in my avatar are Betty and Boop, the two Doms that arrived together. You can early see their combs and Boop was much softer in color than Betty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by