For the winter gardener,

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Royd, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    or for anyone who wants to save your plants, I have come up with a cheap way, to do it.

I've had a very nice pepper crop, this year, and living in North Florida, I was bound and determined, not to lose them, this winter, because I know it's possible.
    If it works, not only will I, possibly have peppers, all winter, but I'll eliminate that 3 month wait, in the spring.

I moved all of my peppers, into two rows, with four to a group and about 3' between each group... I, then, dug a hole, in the open space, about 1' deep, and using the heavy duty construction trashbags, I filled them with water. Using bamboo stakes, I formed a wall, around the bag, so that I could fill it completely, and tie it off.

I, then, made a hoop house, out of split bamboo, tying it with palm fronds. Then, I covered it, with 6 mil clear plastic.

It was all great fun, and a wonderful experience.

Tomorrow, will be sunny, so let the solar heating begin.

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    Tough on us in Idaho.

3. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Tough on us in WI. also. Hope it works for you. Mike

4. Royd

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    I've always said that North Florida is a gardener's Paradise. Our worst season is July and August.... You can't keep up with the weeds or the bugs.

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Here i prune off the larger branches and they overwinter in the ground with no fuss.

6. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i think in our area it would probably work better to use something like compost in that trash bag or along the side of the tunnel. the only issue i could see would be the snow getting to thick during a storm and making it collapse.

7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    On the pepper forum I used to visit, many peppers are houseplants over winter.

8. Royd

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Quote:I met a man, once, in Middleburg, who kept his habenero in a 30 gal washtub, on wheels. The thing was 5' tall. He'd just roll it into the garage, during the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by