for those brooding 100+ cornishx

ttrammell

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
SEK Pittsburg area
How many to you brood in one area? I have lost a bunch of chicks, and the only thing I can think of is they are piling up on each other and smothering the ones on the bottom? I had two heat lamps should I have put more heat in there to spread them out? Or should I divide the brooding area into sections of only 25 chicks per section with their own heat lamp. I'm using an old grain bin for the brooder with plywood walls to divide it, so I have plenty of room to section them off if need be. I have 25 Welsummers in the same bin sectioned off in their own area and have lost just a couple the first couple days, "normal" loss of weak ones.

Sometimes birds will pile up in corners. Try to 'round off' the corners with cardboard or wire barriers. (Anything to eliminate the right angle of the corner.)

We built a new 8 x 8 brooder this year and also built a 4x4 ohio brooder that sits in there. I have 125 cornish x in there now and nock on wood have not lost 1 chick yet and they are going on 2 weeks old. I REALLY like the ohio brooder and would recommend it to anyone. Also this brooder barn i built sits outside on the grass with about 4 inches of shavings in it and the whole thing is surrounded by a section of electric poultry net. Later I can try to post the link for the brooder barn I really do love this set- up

Back
Top Bottom