1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

for those buying ameraucana on auctions etc.....a guide

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by klf73, Feb 8, 2009.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Ok, after reading so many posts of people getting *true* ameraucana eggs(and not) I thought it would be nice to make a checklist to help people decide if the seller has TRUE Ameraucana. Feel free to add to this.....

If the eggs are advertised as green, pink, or any other color than blue.........they are NOT true ameraucana.

If the birds are not advertised as a specific recognized color, i.e. Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten & White.........they are probably NOT true ameraucana

ask the seller where the breeder stock came from also. If they came from a hatchery, they are NOT true ameraucana

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    what she said...... [​IMG]

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If they don't know the difference between muffs and tufts, they are probably EEs. They shouldn't have both in the US and Ameraucana do not have tufts.

If they say they produce many varieties of colors, they are likely EEs.

4. turtleblossom

turtleblossom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Kentucky
    ...steer clear of anyone selling "americanas"...

5. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Ask the seller who's line they got their breeding stock from. If they tell you 'feed store' or 'such and such hatchery'....avoid unless you want EE's!!! [​IMG]

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Good idea for those who does not breed true Amercuanas....if all in doubt, just stick with some of us in here that have TRUE Amercuanas!

7. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    You know it seems to me its going to be hard to ever get the Amerianas,arauncas what ever they are, separated from EE's in the publics mind. Most "lay"(no pun intended) people are only interested in a bird that lays unusal green-blue eggs. If the standard is so important why doesn't the group organization rename their breed and disasociate the their ideal bird from what an EE is known ,for-laying muti colored egg,having muffs and being multi colored birds?Its like having two or three breeds of herefords.There can be only one.And in the EE case thats what most people have and or know as a blue ,green,pink,whatever egg layer!

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    That's just a ridiculous comment.

Why would ameraucanas have to change their name when they have been admitted to the APA, are a recognized breed and EE's are mutts?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:The real change that should happen is the hatcheries need to stop calling their mutts a name similar to a purebreed and call them EE's ONLY

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Stupid question, what is the difference between tufts and muffs? I just call them puffy cheeks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by