for those experiencing the arctic blast....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DutchieWannabe, Nov 23, 2010.

1. DutchieWannabe

DutchieWannabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    Tonite our regular Low cold temps will go from an average 25*-30* F. to 0*-4* F and not really warm above 20* during the day.... for us it will be short lived, 2 days or so, i was just curious about others going through the same thing (or for longer periods than two days). are u supplimental heating for the extreme temp drop, are u going to just watch and see? whats your plan?

Me? I am glad the two days it is uber cold where i live, I dont have to work, so i can regularly check on the ladies, I have set up a heat lamp in case of emergency, but it isnt plugged in yet. It did snow a fair amount .. ok.. like only 2 inches, but enough for me to watch how the ladies will react to the rest of winter. they seemed completly unbothered by the snow on the ground. (I am taking this as a good sign) I actually even got an egg from my leghorn this morning, i was sure she would take a day or two off with the winter storm (predicted to be a blizzard but was much calmer)

In the end, I will anxiously wait and see how the ladies weather the extreme weather

2. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I am anxiously awaiting my water heater! I too am glad I am home, to change icy water, and make sure everyone is okay. I just added a nice warm layer to their floor and tonight I will close the door to their roost to keep drafts down. I think I will also give them a wider roost (I read at least 4 inches) to keep their tootsies warm tonight. Maybe a layer of vaseline on our buff and call it good! 10 degrees is pretty cold, but I know people keep chickens in much colder places. My chickens did not care for the snow on the ground!

3. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Dutchie,
    We are south of you and are waiting for the storm to arrive. Should be here in a few hours. Will get below zero for a night or two. Just lock them up inside and they'll be ok. You don't want to give them heat and then take it away.They will all snuggle a little bit closer tonight. I threw a little bit of extra straw and shavings in the floor, but that's it. I also give them some scratch before bed.

4. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    The temp is dropping here. 28 when I got home at 1PM. Down to 19 now and it is not even dark yet.

A cold couple of days coming. My chickens seem to be doing fine. They are really drinking the water down.

5. DutchieWannabe

DutchieWannabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    I was reading other threads in the "Managing your flock" section.. just reading post from others have calmed my nervs a bit.... still i think when i see it ill believe it.

6. turbo13

turbo13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    COEUR D'ALENE IDAHO
    HI, where abouts are you? I'm in Coeur d' Alene. got,and still is very cold here. My coop is well insulated,still got to below freezing in there. last night. I put in a 150 watt bulb,in a brooder lamp.its about 2.5 feet off one of the nest boxes.Just to take the chill off.I only have 3 chickens, in a 6x12x7' coop.They don't make enough heat to warm themselves very much.All are cold hardy,but I'm not. good luck Turbo13 jim

7. shopchicks

shopchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Sounds like you're also in Boise? My coop is insulated, though I don't have the floor insulation done yet, and I put 2 bags of fresh shavings on the floor a couple weeks ago, and they seem to be doing fine. If yours are not cold sensitive breeds, and can stay dry and out of the wind, they should be just fine. Mine sure were hesitant to come out into the snow this morning though, being their first winter and first real taste of snow. [​IMG] Just installed an electric tank heater that is keeping their water relatively warm and giving them BOSS for the extra fat/heat.

8. jessylee

jessylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia
    This is my first winter with chickens I have 4 hens and 4, 4month old muscovies. I have a 3 1/2 foot by 5 foot coop, that is not insulated. I did wrap the coop with a draw string tarp. I read a lot in the forums and decided not to heat my coop this winter, My coop has small vents up high and is pretty draft free. BUT the winter here this year has come very suddenly, it was 30 degrees Fahrenheit at night fall, and yesterday night It got into the teens. Thinking the sudden change might be too much for the first timers I broke down tonight and decided to put a mini crock pot (a bit larger than a soft ball) In the coop. Has anyone ever tried this before? Does this sound like a safe source of heat. It is sitting on a plate with a large medal bowl over the top. I cant think of a reason this would be a fire hazard, Can you? The crock pot has only one temp witch is hot to the touch but not so hot it can hurt you. The medal bowl is warm. I have been checking the temp inside the coop Right now the out side temp is 13 degrees and the temp in side the coop is 28 degrees. Again I am a first timer all help is welcome.

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Dear Lord, that's c-cold. I wish you all the best, in Canada our Prairie Provinces are suffering the same fate. Condensation has been an issue...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  10. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    We had -3 this morning. Don't heat the coop and don't insulate either. Just keep out the drafts and throw extra shavings on the floor. They were all good this morning. Cooked them up some warm scrambled eggs. Opened the door to the run and out they went into the snow. I'm sure if I heated my coop they wouldn't be outside right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by