For those familiar with Americauna chicks - chick color vs adult color

Sea Wolf

Songster
8 Years
Apr 30, 2015
Taxachusetts
I have a group of maturing Americaunas brought home as day olds. The breeder had several different hens and a couple of different roosters .. and put all the eggs in one basket so to speak so there is no way of knowing who is who. In the group of 7 chicks, there are two that are very different. One is a pale tan/silver with different markings. The other has a golden mantle also with different markings. For those familiar with the chick colors, will one of these be a wheaten? There was a wheaten hen and I would have liked to have gotten at least one that was wheaten colored. Can the adult colors be guessed at so soon or is it too early to tell yet? The light throws off the color but you can see the difference here.

I'm thinking those are actually EEs. Here's my true Wheaten Ameraucana pullet and cockerel for reference:

Side-note: they're pretty much grown now, so this isn't how they currently look!
big_smile.png

~Alex

Thanks for the reply. The breeder was quite positive that they were Americaunas and not EE's. I asked too. All her birds lay blue eggs. No greens or other colors. I still might have been mislead but the chicks were *cheep* as she is going to take a break from all the hatching. I'll settle for EE's if that is what they truly are but was so hoping for the real deal. I wanted to try a hand at breeding when they grew up. Was looking for wheatens because I have read in several different areas that the wheatens have the bluest of the blue eggs. I don't know yet which are hens or roos. I did try to pick chicks that had less black. Haven't really tried to sex them yet. I have 6 Super Blue egg layers coming this week so at least I'll have plenty of colored eggs.

Last edited:
You're so welcome! Odd, because EEs don't lay exclusively blue eggs, and yet the babies you got look nothing like my Wheatens.
hu.gif
Yes, it's always best to look on the bright side.
big_smile.png
Colored eggs are always a plus, and I personally am of the mindset that a mixture looks much more attractive!
smile.png

~Alex

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom