1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

For those of us wondering about 5 toe chickens.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkiebeginer, Aug 11, 2007.

1. silkiebeginer

silkiebeginer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    I had been wondering what breeds had 5 toes other than silkie. After trying to seasch the web so far the only 5 toe chicks i can find listed are........
    ***DORKING***
    ***FAVEROLLE***
    ***HOUDAN***
    ***SULTAN*** and
    ***SILKIE***
    Thanks for all those who have left replies for my other posts. I am going to assume my 2 silver looking chicks are blue silkies and my orangish ones are buff silkies since they have 5 toes,lol.
    The place i bought my eggs do not have Dorkings and Faverolle are not bantam, they don't carry Houdans and they don't carry Sultans,lol.

Thanks all...Jennifer

2. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Thanks for posting this info! [​IMG]

I was really curious about this because I just hatched out some chickens from eggs I got from my in-law's flock, and some of them have five toes. I know the moms of these are Plymouth Rocks, and I had no idea what the dads are (I knew they were mixed, but I never really saw all of them because they free range and there are a LOT of them), but I assumed they were all standard size... anyway, I was a little disappointed when I saw the five-toed ones, because I hatched these for laying hens and wanted good size eggs (the rest of my flock are all banties). But since there's some standard sizes with 5 toes, there's still a chance these chicks will get big enough to lay good sized eggs.

3. silkiebeginer

Jul 31, 2007
    D'UCCLES...Do they have 5 toes? Seems like that was one i forgot to put on the list?

That was the ones listed at ChickenFeet.com I think was what it was called, don't hold me to that. It seems like that was also one listed on Meyer Hatchery. Ok I copy and pasted the ones that they have at Meyer. Mine are a mix of these. if only I knew which ones,lol

Product Information
    Receive an assortment of Bantam chicks such as (Silkies, Brahmas, Frizzles, Cochins, Mille Fleurs, and Porcelains). No guarantee on the number of each kind, but it will contain at least three types of these feather legged bantams. Straight Run Only (this list was for day olds, i bought fertile eggs)

Jennifer

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  4. Chellester

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    That's one I can answer with confidence... D'Uccles only have 4 toes.

I know because I have them! [​IMG]

5. silkiebeginer

Jul 31, 2007
    Ahh, yes thanks for clearing that up,lol. They have feather leggs but 4 toes. Wonder if i have any of those in my bunch. Whats the babies look like? 5 of my babies I am sure are silkies but the rest are a mystery. Most are black, some have white on their little behinds but black everywhere else.

Jennifer

6. Chellester

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Here's a pic of my Mille Fleur D'Uccles at 2 days old:

[​IMG]

You could still have other color D'Uccles if the coloring is different, or something else altogether.

7. silkiebeginer

Jul 31, 2007
    Chellester.....I don't know if you have see my thread, UPDATE I HAVE BABIES PICS ON THIS ONE, but those are pics of my new babies. All of them but the 5 have 4 toes and feather legs.

Jennifer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by