Eastern/Central PA
Take a look at this little cutie!
wink.png

26636_100_3664.jpg

26636_100_3668.jpg

26636_100_3666.jpg

I think it is a Frizzle. If it is, then here's Daddy:

26636_100_3670.jpg

I just wasn't sure he was, uh successful. He's been trying, but I think he finally got it!

Ooh, now that's a neat-looking chick!
I just looked up the "Turken".....sounds like it's an overall good chicken.
Not to mention that one there is far too cute!
big_smile.png

Have you had them long enough to have gotten any eggs from them? And how is their temperament?
Sorry for the questions, but I'm new to chickens in general, and never realized there were so many varieties out there. I kinda like the looks of this one, and on further reading, they seem to be a bit better-off as far as disease immunity and heat issues. Again, I only know this from reading, so I might be way off.

I do get eggs from mine. I actually have 3 Turken chicks that hatched this year from my hens, but the pics of the one I just posted is the cutest! I don't think any of mine are purebred though. I bought my original Turkens at an auction. My intentions are to have some sort of breeding project with them, so this year I bought Giant Cochin chicks and Polish chicks. We'll see what happens with those... One thing I did find out is that only 50% or so will hatch out with the naked necks. Anyway...

The Turkens I have are mild mannered. The roos do not have an aggressive bone in their bodies. Also, I have semi-trained them to only crow inside the coop - I lightly mist them with the hose (NOTE: I only lightly mist them! I don't power wash them! LOL). Now all I have to do is go outside and pick up the hose and they run inside and "yell". It's too funny! Hey, I live in town and it's worked for me for quite a long time!!! The hens are good too. I've never really held my chickens too much, so they're not sitting-on-my-shoulder kind of friendly, but they aren't skittish either.

My Turken hens aren't purebred, and they lay a medium-sized cream colored egg on a regular basis. I live in PA and it gets pretty hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. I don't heat my coop or run the air conditioner either (LOL), but they have been doing fine in all sorts of weather. I don't open up the run for any of my chickens when it rains though.

Good luck with your decision. There are SO many neat breeds of chickens to choose from. I advocate for Turkens, though!

Here is what Feather site has to say about them....

"The breed probably originated in Hungary, but the Germans perfected the type. One reason for their development is that with less feathers, they are much easier to pluck than the average table fowl. A Naked Neck has less than half the number of feathers possessed by other breeds of their size. They are good layers of brown eggs, quite hardy in cold weather, and due to their light feathering also take heat better than most breeds. They are quite popular in South Africa, where they are known under the name "Kaalnek."

The naked neck gene is dominant, so any first generation crosses with this fowl will show the naked neck, although often with a larger patch of feathers on the neck. "

Mine are very calm. I purchased mine from ideal Poultry. What I know is that you either love them or hate them. I purchased extras and had them for sale. Every one came by and said "ugly, no way". Then the right person said "Oh you have turkens, I want all you have for sale.

Mine are 3 months old now and are very calm and sweet. I am hopping for at least a large egg (Big enough to sell) from them.

Thank you both for the info! It seems they might be a breed worth looking into someday. 'Course, I'm going to have to make a lot more coop and run space!
lol.png

CL, it's good to know they are mild-mannered. That's a good selling point. As is the not-skittish.
I'd love to see the training in action....I can imagine that's a hoot!

TBC, thank you for the quote. Good info to have. Ideal has them, eh? Hmmm...

I hope you will keep posting photos as the slightly-less fuzzy butt grows, ChickyLaura!

Back
Top Bottom