For those of you who add light to extend daylight...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by harleyjo, Sep 9, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    How do you do it? Do you extend it in the morning, at night or both? We do keep a small 15 watt light or so on all night. They sleep fine on their roosts and don't get up until daylight. What is the best way to do this?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It is usually added at night so they get a normal sunrise; at dark they are already asleep anyhow.

The 15 watts may already, in effect, be providing light day and night.

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I do it at both ends--6 am lights on/off at 9 then on again at 4 pm, off at 9--all DST. That gets them up before I let them out and, maybe, getting them laying plus they seem to like the light on when they come in at night before the settle down on the roost. Also allows me to make a visual check on everyone when I lock them in at night.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We usually do a little of both. If you have to go to a job every day, I think it's handy to have the lights set up so that they're on at a convenient time for you to do your chores. I don't think my chickens care that much, either way.

5. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    I extend it in the morning. I prefer that light end slowly in the evening, normal sunset, so that everyone can get settled.

I use compact fluorescent bulbs which take a while to get bright (especially when it is -5 outside).

6. cow_girl

cow_girl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    Ontario
    how bright does the light have be?.. Ive got a solar light, but its not very bright... would that be enough to simulate daylight???

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Might depend on how big an area you're trying to light. I use a 40w florescent for 12 X 12 coop but it is above the door between two rooms so the corners of one room are unlit. Birds don't seem to mind and gather in the light areas as well as the dark,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by