for those of you who sell your processed meaties

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by AHappychick, Apr 25, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I am wondering how you prepare them.

I take off th neck, and clean them out really nice, remove the gland thing at back, and wrap cleaned gizzard and liver in wax paper or saran and stuff back in and then vaccume seal and freeze.

Does that sound ok? I dont want to scare people and wanted it to look like what they gt in the grocery store.

Also some of the skin between the thigh riped on some exposing a little of the breast or some have a little torn skin at the top by the breast and neck area is that ok? . the ones that had a lot of torn skin I broke down into parts for my family since my sister will only eat meat off the bone [​IMG]

2. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I let people know up front that there could be some imperfections, an occasional missed pin feather, etc. I prepare mine pretty much similar to the way you described.

3. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    So--you are butchering your own birds and selling them?? We're not allowed to do that.

4. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    in Ny as long as the bird stays with the person who raised it (ie me) I can sell up to I think 2000 with out getting any special permits or paying tax on it. each state is different. I must be ther when it is sold though can not sell to stores or other markets that I do not attend.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  5. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Doesn't "as long as the bird stays with the person who raised it (ie me {you}" mean that you can raise your own birds for meat NOT pass them on to anyone else??? How can it stay with you if you sell it??? Once it is in the other persons car, you are in violation of your state's law.
    I think you are mis-interpreting the law. (Even though personally, I think it is a stupid law)

6. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't resist...

I see why you interpreted the law that way. You live in your own little world!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

That there is funny, I don't care who you are!!!

7. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    well once it is sold obviously the bird is no longer with me [​IMG], but that is what they told me when I called the state. I have to raise the bird and process and be the one selling the bird at the local farmers market or a home stand.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    do you know of a processor in upstate NY? I debating wether I want to do it all myself of bring it to someone else? for me and my freezer..

9. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    the one I use is in Tarrytown but if you nlook up live poultry you might have better luck finding them. I have found that they ar usually in the spanish nighborhoods since they still like their meat fresh [​IMG]

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    thank you-Ill try that today and let you know my results

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by