For those of you who

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Patricia Jane, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    use DE. What do you use to sprinkle it around.

2. natrgatr

natrgatr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Columbia City, IN
    A plain old plastic cup. Nothing fancy.

3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I saved a large spice container w/ holes (the tones ones from sam's club) but I've read about someone using a flour sifter. If my spice container doesn't work well enough I'm going to get a sifter (I haven't used it yet).

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:+1
    I use the top of a milk jug with the handle part and sprinkle very sparingly.

5. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Thanks for the great ideas. I went out and bought a hand held garden spreader for fertilizer thinking that would work great and all it does is clump at the bottom and doesn't even come out. That's what happens when I think. So FYI, a waste of money. I tried to sprinkle it with a flower spade and wasn't very even. I have to lightly spread it with my hands.

6. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    At first I put it in a little spice jar but had to fill it up every 2 min.[​IMG] so now I'm just using my gloved hand. I have heard that a plastic parmesan cheese jar works great but I buy a huge jug from Sam's and reuse my jar for dispensing, so I never have an extra one around:/

7. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    finger tips

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by