For those of you with your japanese quail in colonies...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by snyd08, Jun 21, 2011.

1. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    how many of you have some coops that are not just pairs or 1 male to 2-3 females. i have one colony with 2 males and 5 females. no fighting. everyones does ok. all my other are 1:.2 ratio or 1:.3... most are paired for best fertility. my neighbor keeps 5 yes FIVE males per 2 females. all of the birds are fully feathered and it seems as if 2 males a texas a&M and JUMBO male are the ones breeding and the other males dont even have their full plumage for breeding season. they look like females THEY ARE NOT IN ANY WAY FEMALES. but sure do act like them. i find it interesting that they arent full of testostrone and fighting to the death. anyone else keep more males to females? colonies of how many? fighting? with my experience i find that if i move them all to a NEW cage they seem to do well establishing dominace. if i ad a male to any enclosure he will get beat up/ killed! [​IMG]

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    They Do Best In Colonies... Sex Ratio Of Somewhere From 1 Roo Over 5 To 8 Hens--- This Maintains Fertility And Yet Is Less Taxing On The Hens.

In A High Male Environment There Will Be A Pecking Order Estabolished... As You Describe The Alpha And #2 Males Would Be Breeding And The Lower Subordinates Would Be Getting Bred [​IMG] (coturnix Can Be Prone To A Lil Shall We Say Jailhouse Lovin? )

For Best Results All The Way Around The 1:5-8 Is Hard To Beat. Adding More Males Than Females Will Not Ensure Fertility Of Eggs But Rather An Untimely Demise Of Hens Due To The Unnecessary Stress Placed Upon Them

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. discoveregg

discoveregg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Quote:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ga.chickenman

Ga.chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Vidalia
    [​IMG]

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It's harsh being low man on the totem pole [​IMG]

I have 2 roos and 5 hens right now and poor Keiko is looking kinda ragged. Apparently she is a hot mama by quail standards [​IMG] I am adding 4 more females next week so maybe the poor girl will get a break.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Colonies are best, at least 3 females with 1 male.

8. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    i have a few pens with 1 male to 1 female and the females all seem to be fully feathered pretty healthy all the way around IMO. i do certainly see the issue with colonizing more males than females by all means. but my "pairs" do really well. i like the 2 females to 1 male or even 3 to 1 i have...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by