FOR THOSE THAT HATCH IN AN EGG CARTON - QUESTION

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DouglasPeeps, Jan 12, 2009.

1. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I am working on getting all set up for my 1st Hatch! [​IMG]

But, I still have a couple of questions..... for those who hatch using an egg carton.....do you have the eggs in it the entire time or put them in it the last couple of days?

Thanks!

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I put mine in the whole time, they are easier to hand turn that way, I also cut the bottoms out of each section so the egg has no carton between it and the bator screen.

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    whole time but don't cut anything out

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

the whole time

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I move mine out of the turner into the carton on day 18. I don't cut the bottom out...I just leave it like it is.

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I use a sportsman incubator and the trays shift...keep the eggs in the cartons until they are ready to hatch and then move them to the hatcher...unless button quail and then I move carton and all (big fingers little eggs bad combination)

7. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    The reason I cut the bottoms out of my carton is because I figured out that if you have the shelf liner in the bator and the bottoms cut out of the carton all you have to do is slowly slide the carton to the left or right to turn the eggs. I didn't like propping the carton up on 1 side and then the other because I noticed a temerature differance. It is just what works best for me.

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I move mine from the turner to the carton

9. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Lots of great responses! Thank you all!

I do however feel a little overwhelmed! I am currently trying to get my bator to hold desired temperature and humidity! I just don't want to mess up. I am thinking about creating a "cheat sheet" for days 1-18 and then 18-21. I am sure after I do this a couple of times it won't see like so many things to remember. Just want it to be a good experience, that's all! Right now I am using a sponge for humidity.....very dry here!

I will take any suggestions!

Thanks!

Kelly

10. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Great idea! I don't have a turner, so this sounds great. I know the shorter time I have the bator opened the better.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by