For those that light their coop - Shatter Resistant Bulbs!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HennysMom, Nov 25, 2008.

1. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Yes - they DO exist! [​IMG]

If you choose to light your coop for the sake of adding more "natural" day light to get your girls to lay, we found at Lowes Shatter-Resistant regular light bulbs the other day. They are a little bit costly (3 will run you about $9.00) but - it stops the worry of if they break you're trying to find the little shards of glass and if your girls ate any or cut their feet.

They are coated in a heavy type of plastic (think like tempered glass) and should they shatter, they stay together and implode vs. explode.

Great idea I think - even with a guard over your light fixture!

Just wanted to share....

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I use a couple in my horse barn, in places where I am too lazy to install a proper protected fixture and it doesn't seem crucially important. Having whacked into one with the end of a piece of lumber I was carrying I can say that they do work more or less as billed (the pieces hang together somewhat rather than a million shards going every which way).

I suppose they couldn't *hurt* in a coop, especially if your bulb is sticking out where a chicken could fly into it and there's no guard. I'd put one in my garage before I put one in the coop though (as I spend more time waving long pieces of lumber around in the garage... [​IMG])

Pat

3. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

true... garages are the worst [​IMG] I whacked into a bulb the other day carrying a 2X4...ugh... surprised I didnt shatter the bulb, so my extra 2 are going in there.

I have one in my coop, but its not hooked up (yeah weird huh?) LOL but only because the kids get the eggs / clean the coop and I worry about them being a little less careful than I am and...the girls are laying normally without any additional lighting needs, so far. Guess its that big window they have.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:Thanks for sharing this info. I will go get some to put in my brooders for the older chicks. That will be one less thing for me to worry over [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by