For Those That Processed the "Packing Peanuts" from Ideal Poultry

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by crazyhatlady, Mar 13, 2013.

1. crazyhatlady

crazyhatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    NYS
    I am expecting the arrival of 15 Norwegian Jaerhons with "packing peanuts" in 2-3 days. At what age should we have the "peanuts" butchered?

Thank you in advance.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I guess it depends upon what the breed of the packing peanuts are. Most butcher between 12 and 16 weeks.... not much meat but then you don't have to continue spending $$ on feed.

3. crazyhatlady

Feb 27, 2013
    NYS
    Thank you. My friend and I like making our own stock for soup and then canning it. So i figured they would be good for stock.

4. AgroUrica

AgroUrica Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    I normally discard the peanuts when butchering. Guess I should reconsider. Every extra gram helps the bottom line.[​IMG]

5. enel 1

enel 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    They are referring to the extra chicks the hatcheries sometimes add to an order for extra warmth

6. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    We got 12 Production Red packing peanuts last year and processed them around 18 weeks. They were okay size but were getting nasty and would attack us when we went in to feed them each day so it was time they went.

7. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I got about 13 production red roos as packing peanuts with my last order from ideal.
    grew very slowing and were butchered around 5 months old if i remember correctly. they dressed out better than other non meat birds I raised before though
    heres on right before they were butchered

[​IMG]
    Ive also received barred rock roosters from them before as packing peanuts but I gave those away. Well they were either barred rocks or I think they also sell birds that are some cross between bared rocks and leghorns.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  8. crazyhatlady

Feb 27, 2013
    NYS
    Thank you both. And especially for the picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by