For those that use sand...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickyboomboom, Jun 27, 2011.

1. chickyboomboom

chickyboomboom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Do you use something else in the nest box? or do you also use sand? I put pine shavings in the nest box and sand everywhere else and all 5 girls slept in the nest box last night. They are so used to the pine shavings so I think they felt safe there. I took the pine out today and replaced it with sand, because I don't want them to make a habit out of sleeping in there.

So I was just wondering... when they get to the laying phase, do you also use sand there? Should I block off my nest box until then?

2. maggiegigs

maggiegigs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    I use "stall dry" for horses mixed in with my pine shavings in the coop. It clumps everything together and makes it very easy to clean. Get a kitty litter spoon and you can clean easily or a rack. I do not use it in the nesting boxes only shavings. Someone on this forum recommended the stall dry and it works like a charm. I do not believe you should block the nesting boxes...they will eventually go on the roost. It is natural for them to do so. Mine did not for over a month when I first got them. Be patient.[​IMG]

3. chickyboomboom

chickyboomboom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Thank you! I'll pick up some stall dry next time I go to the feed store. I've heard great things about this stuff!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by