1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

?? for those that use Sweet PDZ and DE in your runs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by khable, Jul 13, 2007.

1. khable

khable Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    LaGrangeville, NY
    Hi all,

I have a quick question for those of you who use Sweet PDZ and DE in your runs...

How much do you use of each?

I am sprinkling it in my sand fill run for odor control...

My run is 8ft x 6ft plus under the hen house.

I have a feeling I am not using enough. As it is still smelly in there.

Also any other hints for odor control in an outdoor sand filled run?

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Kim

2. biretta

biretta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2007
    Hi, I use sand in the run too. I just rake out the poop every 5-6 days (am still looking for a rake with closer tines) and sprinkle about 3-4 cups of Sweet PDZ. For DE, I put about 1/2 cup into the amount of feed that fills a large coffee can.
    There is some odor when it rains, however. I'd probably be better if I cleaned more often. Anyway, haven't noticed any worms in the droppings, and the birds seem healthy otherwise.

3. khable

khable Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    LaGrangeville, NY
    biretta,

thanks for responding... How big is your run?

I did notice that the smell was worse after the rain. I will try using a bit more Sweet PDZ to see if it helps. I was just using handfulls of it, but I don't think it was quite 3 to 4 cups.... so I will try that.

Thanks for letting me know.

Kim

4. biretta

biretta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2007
    Hi Kim. Sorry I was offline till now. My run is 7'x13'. Since I started the Sweet PDZ it hasn't rained so I will see if that helps at all in wet conditions. The run floor is concrete; I starting using less sand, only enough to prevent the poop from sticking to the floor. I'm thinking that may prevent the buildup of poop, as it's hard to remove when the sand is deeper. I've even considered screeing it like an antropologist at a dig, but...too much work!
    Hope the stuff works for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by