For those using lever activated bucket feeders...

southerndesert

B & M Chicken Ranch
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
Morristown, AZ
First of all I love these things and they save large amounts of food that otherwise would be eaten by bugs, rodents, and the gluttonous sparrows and doves we deal with here in Arizona.

Here is a view of the lever available on eBay (I colored it red)
2011-11-25_11-04-43_652.jpg

And a link to one being used by chickens...

My version, not as fancy but works

2011-11-25_10-10-06_406.jpg

Installed in a 5 gallon bucket they work great as long as kept dry and virtually no critter other than my chickens can operate it eliminating almost all waste to other hungry critters. Only trouble was that inside the bucket as the feed was consumed would form an inverted cone causing feed to slow when lever activated as well as the bottom 1/3 of the bucks feed to not make it to the 3/4 inch hole. Those using this system know what is meant by this I am sure....

Not the fanciest deal in the world and surly could be improved upon, but works well for us. We feed pellets and they seem to work best with this style feeder and the levers are available on eBay under automatic chicken feeder.

Here is the fix starting with what you will need, bucket, lever, dog medical protection collar, and some duct tape

2011-11-25_10-09-44_430.jpg

Now fit dog collar to bucket, snap together and tape over unused holes so feed doesn't get through

2011-11-25_11-01-11_281.jpg

Center in the bucket, I use nothing to hold it in making cleaning much easier when needed

2011-11-25_10-37-25_49.jpg

Install lever, fill with feed and no more problems....

2011-11-25_10-47-14_641.jpg

Just thought this may be useful to others using this method....

Last edited:
Good idea to use the collar. I used a bowl and a funnel and it was a pain. I quit using my bucket feeder though, because it was getting moisture inside when we got a heavy sideways type rain. I think I'll make a whole new one with pvc. Or my other option is to set a 5 gallon bucket upside down over it to keep rain out (the bucket I'm using is about 2 or 3 gallons).

Errrr . . . I think I get it but . . . . is the hole in the bottom of the bucket unrestricted? How does the lever keep all the feed from spilling out? Does the feed not fall through unless the lever is stirring it? And do you have hens walking around with feed all over their heads? I use a mash feed instead of pellets - would this work for that type?

I love my bucket feeder! I enjoy watching all the wild birds take a back seat and watch the hens trigger and eat all the food while they get nothing. I need to make another one with a smaller hole since I'm going to crumble size feed soon. I like the collar idea, sounds much easier then my expandable foam.
hmm.png

Quote:
What did you use to make your version, if you don't mind? I just ordered 2 of those feeders yesterday. I'm probably gonna make a PVC feeder with one of them & may make a bucket feeder with the other. I can't wait to try them!

Quote:
The trigger stops feed from falling out unless trigger is activated and then just a little comes out at a time. Folks have had issues with mash when and if it gets moist, but otherwise it works from what I am told with a tad smaller hole, we use pellets and a 3/4 inch hole.

Quote:
Great system Southwest!

So you couldn't show me that before I spent a kajillion hours TIG'n up an aluminum treadle feeder?

Sorry Mikey, but I did mention I use a hanging bucket setup once or twice.... Besides there is nothing to weld
cool.png

Quote:
What did you use to make your version, if you don't mind? I just ordered 2 of those feeders yesterday. I'm probably gonna make a PVC feeder with one of them & may make a bucket feeder with the other. I can't wait to try them!

Looked around our property and found some shelves in the scrap pile with the right size welded wire and cut out the "T" shape needed.

2011-11-26_06-34-40_953.jpg

I then cut some plastic for the paddle and heated the wire trigger until hot enough to fuse itself to the plastic. For the part they peck at I used a shaft from a bic pen cut to fit then screwed on a red plastic wire nut. Heck I know I am a cheap type, but it works the same
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I use mine in a 3 gallon bucket with a lid on top. I feed a dry mash and have no problems with moisture. I do have the dish up about 10 inches attached to a log. The bucket is then about 8 inches above that. That way they are not walking in the food.

I love this system and find the savings in feed great.

Back
Top Bottom