? for those who candle

gvntofly05

Songster
10 Years
Sep 21, 2009
IN
I candled my eggs on day 10 and 13 of 14 were developing well. I left the 14th one in for now but will probably pull it when I candle again, I don't expect it to change. Tomorrow is day 14.

Do you recommend candling again on day 14, day 17 or both?

I'm probably not the one to answer this, I have to stop myself from candling the eggs every night. I would certainly check before lockdown. But you could candle that one egg today and again before lockdown. Especially since its likely no good, it wouldn't hurt to pull it out a few times.

LOL!
I guess I candle "too much" too.
As long as your hands are clean & you're careful, it's really up to you.
With chicken eggs, I usually document candling on days# 4, 10, 15, & 19.

I would leave the developing ones til day 18 (lock down) to candle. The questionable one, I would candle day 14 and 18. IMO. Wow, 13 or 14 out of 14? What are you doing right?

Quote:
I really don't know
smile.png
This is my first time incubating and they are shipped eggs too!
smile.png

Seriously. Let it lie Louie! I have one egg in my bator that is the offspring of my dearly departed Robbie pullet. Each time I candled, it would wiggle. One day I candled, and no wiggle. I very gently shook the egg trying to elicit a wiggle, but it wasn't happening. With sad little tears in my eyes, I put it back in the bator thinking that I had lost my last Robbie pullet link. Three days later I candled and that little sucker was doing a dance in there! So glad I didn't trash that egg. This baby is due to hatch on this upcoming Saturday...along with two more of my cuckoo maran egglettes.

Quote:
I really don't know
smile.png
This is my first time incubating and they are shipped eggs too!
smile.png

With SHIPPED eggs?!?!? That is unheard of around here!! Shipped eggs usually are only around 50% at best! Way to go first timer!

IMO the more you handle eggs the greater the possibility of a bad outcome.
I candle twice at the most: day 7 & day 18. Sometimes I only candle on day 18. This applies to chicken eggs of course. With duck eggs I candle a bit more because there is a greater risk of EXPLOSION!

Back
Top Bottom