? for those who candle

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gvntofly05, Jan 13, 2010.

1. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I candled my eggs on day 10 and 13 of 14 were developing well. I left the 14th one in for now but will probably pull it when I candle again, I don't expect it to change. Tomorrow is day 14.

Do you recommend candling again on day 14, day 17 or both?

2. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I'm probably not the one to answer this, I have to stop myself from candling the eggs every night. I would certainly check before lockdown. But you could candle that one egg today and again before lockdown. Especially since its likely no good, it wouldn't hurt to pull it out a few times.

3. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    LOL!
    I guess I candle "too much" too.
    As long as your hands are clean & you're careful, it's really up to you.
    With chicken eggs, I usually document candling on days# 4, 10, 15, & 19.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would leave the developing ones til day 18 (lock down) to candle. The questionable one, I would candle day 14 and 18. IMO. Wow, 13 or 14 out of 14? What are you doing right?

5. gvntofly05

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Quote:I really don't know [​IMG] This is my first time incubating and they are shipped eggs too! [​IMG]

6. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Seriously. Let it lie Louie! I have one egg in my bator that is the offspring of my dearly departed Robbie pullet. Each time I candled, it would wiggle. One day I candled, and no wiggle. I very gently shook the egg trying to elicit a wiggle, but it wasn't happening. With sad little tears in my eyes, I put it back in the bator thinking that I had lost my last Robbie pullet link. Three days later I candled and that little sucker was doing a dance in there! So glad I didn't trash that egg. This baby is due to hatch on this upcoming Saturday...along with two more of my cuckoo maran egglettes.

7. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:I really don't know [​IMG] This is my first time incubating and they are shipped eggs too! [​IMG]

With SHIPPED eggs?!?!? That is unheard of around here!! Shipped eggs usually are only around 50% at best! Way to go first timer!

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    IMO the more you handle eggs the greater the possibility of a bad outcome.
    I candle twice at the most: day 7 & day 18. Sometimes I only candle on day 18. This applies to chicken eggs of course. With duck eggs I candle a bit more because there is a greater risk of EXPLOSION!

9. gvntofly05

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I'll wait and candle 1 more time right before lockdown then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by