For those who dream of owning a horse one day

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MichiganWoods, May 5, 2009.

1. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    What breed has caught your eye?

I'll admit I'm gah-gah over the Gypsy Vanners . There's no way my husband would allow it, nor could we afford one. But my gosh, they are just gorgeous.

2. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    what a beautiful horse!!!

3. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    My mom and sister rescued a gypsy horse! He was GORGEOUS!!!!!! They have since sold him to a wonderful home with a family that can give him the attention he deserves. I had a horse a few years ago that didn't work out (very jittery TB)... someday I would love to get some so out whole family can ride. I think I'm going to go with a more 'stable' horse next time. Anyone know a good family-friendly breed?

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I LOVE Gypsy Vanners!! I get to work with some of them and they have the sweetest personalities! I WILL own one of them one day...after I hit the lottery. [​IMG]

5. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    OH... I also love the Gypsys!
    I've been dreaming of my own horse for probably more years than you've been alive.......
    Last summer a friend and I rescued a 20-something appy mare. She is wonderful, sweet, and has filled out and is beautiful. I can hop on her bareback with just a halter on.... wow!

That said, favorite breeds are like dogs.......... It depends on your personality and what you'd like to ride and work with. When I was younger I wanted a wilder something that would take lots of work and love, and would be a real challenge. Now.... a nice solid quarter horse with some trail-smarts would be my choice.

6. Cass,
    I have had my eye on Gypsies for over 5 years now and I have a savings account set up for a mare of my own.
    I cannot wait to be able to buy one!

I plan on going through Black Forest Shires, they started in Shires and now import some awesome Vanners! They were the home of the late Lion King, an AMAZING stallion!
    [​IMG]

7. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Same for me, if I won the lottery I would SO have Gypsies! There's a family down south of us who breeds and shows them and they are to die for. Well, I'd probably keep my Friesians too.

8. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Oh man! My first response would have been a paint. I've always loved paints...but then you link us to a picture of a Gypsy Vanner paint! [​IMG] Yep, that would be the one I want.

9. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    I love my quarter horses! But I also have two STUNNING mustangs. I will put them on my BYC pages. You can see some of my horses on my BYC page under hooves.

I have a well bred AQHA mare that I will give away to a good home. There is nothing wrong with her and she was used as a ranch horse. She doesn't fit into my program as I am selling a lot of my horses now. Though she was used as a ranch horse, I don't know how well broke she is. I have nothing bad to say about her... just haven't ridden her. My 14 year old daughter has though. She is not a beauty, but is sweet. If giving away a horse seems weird to you... I guess it is! But I have given away a lot of horses. At least 4. When I find a good home for a horse and the horse will not bring a lot of money... as many horses won't these days... I give them. I have also rescued horses and done that.

I also have two PERFECT kid horses for sale if someone is interested. I live in Beaumont, Texas. The kid horses can be seen on my BYC page under Hooves. These two mares are for sale and are worth their weight in gold.

10. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

for those of you that would like to own a horse:

Mont Pelier here in VA (yes, Jefferson's home) rescues race horses bound for slaughter / put down. For $500.00 you can adopt them.

We saw them on Saturday and they have over 200 currently on premesis on well over 200 acres just running about. They operate on donations and after much rehab, they do adopt these gorgeous horses out.

Just a thought [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by