For those who get a winter(pool ?)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Do you get a heater to keep a pool open? I'm thinking no.. because then they'll freeze their feet when there out of the pool? Not talking about drinking water that obviously needs to be available. Mine just adore there pools and surprised me by still actively splashing and swimming this morning we we're at 0 this morning.. brrrr...[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I don't have a heater. I use the same kiddie pools that I use year round. When the water freezes, I break it up, pout it out and re-fill. It's a lot of time and work but they love it, so I do it for them. [​IMG] It keeps them happy and that makes me happy. [​IMG]

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Birdbath heater works really well on a turtle pool or a cement mixing tub. Mine have never frozen to anything after getting out. Unless you have a metal ramp or something I think you are good.

4. Roxy1989

Roxy1989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Quote:I LOVE this post, i do the same for my ducks, they love to swim so much, i couldnt take that away from them over winter [​IMG]

5. Roxy1989

Roxy1989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    My male also loves his bucket of warm water through the cold months, when his waters cooled down & im outside he quacks at me & nudges the bucket asif to say (re-fill it now)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    I keep a sheep tank in the barn for them, with a heater in it so it will not freeze. Because i have to cover it with plywood when i am not there, they can only have supervised swimming but they do love it. About February they seem to lose interest in it though.

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I use an old black, plastic sled. Just fill it up at the house and pull it through the snow to the coop.

[​IMG]

8. RunnerWhisperer

RunnerWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought about getting a bird bath heater but I wasn't sure about how to properly use it! lol I'm concearned about the ducks getting shocked or burned from the heater. I'm a paranoid duck mommy![​IMG]

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:They don't need it to be heated, mine swam in -30 degree weather with no problems.

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    well i'll be, ok then! i won't worry.. The main pool is your typical plastic kiddy pool, does it crack in the winter?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by