1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

For those who Hatch LOTS of chicks, What then???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bossynbella, Oct 25, 2008.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Well this may seem like a silly question but I have been curious. So far we have been hatching using broody hens, Silkies, and I will usually only put5-6 eggs under them as more then that don't seem to hatch.
    Next spring however I am getting a incubator and as I have been reading the posts on here I have been getting more and more excited, the incubator I want holds like 42 eggs with the turner in. So I'm planning what all I want to hatch. Then DH pipes up... WHat are you going to do with all of them? Obviously we will butcher extra roosters but do you all only hatch what you plan to keep for the year? Or do you hatch to sell? Do you replace all your hens from the previous year? I don't think i could do that I get to attatched to the hens.
    So lets hear it, For those who hatch 40-50 chicks at a time How many do you actually keep and what do you do with the rest?

Melissa

2. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    We sell them and rarely keep any unless we are building up our flocks. So far thru chick and hatching egg sales they have totaly paid for 2 GQF Sportsman incubators, 1 Brinsea octogon 40 incubator.

Steve in NC

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I'm on my first hatch (day 1) with a few from Sands Poultry , actually [​IMG] (can't wait!)

I have a lot of eggs in there - couldn't fit anymore if I wanted to (some ae from a friend, some from my own hens). I plan to sell the chicks, and keep some of them. I figure I'll kee any cochins, and a few of my friend's chicks, (they will be columbian and white plymouth rocks) and sell the rest.

If I can do enough (one day) to make money from it (or even break even, [​IMG] ), I can talk hubby into one of those cabinet incubators [​IMG]

Meri

4. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    sandspoultry- What do you charge for chicks? Do you ship them? How does that work? I Have shipped eggs before and plan to do it again next spring. Also What do you all use to mark your eggs i will be buying hatching eggs of Brahmas (all three colors and maybe Faverolles and Crevecours too) but I will also be hatching out sexlinks,Barred Rocks, Silkies and some mix breed chicks from our own flock for selling, was wondering how I would be able to tell some appart like the barred rock pure chicks from the male Black sexlink chicks?

So many questions. It is going to be a long winter waiting for my incubator and spring!

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:I use a regular pencil to write on the eggs. Don't use a marker or anything like that it will seep into the shell.

If you can catch them as they hatch - and tell which ones are which (you might want to hatch them seperately) you can either put them into different brooders, or band them.

I don't know what you would use to band a baby that small though. Might be better to hatch the two in seperate batches, then you will be better able to tell who is who.

Peace -
    Meri

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I usually sell them as chicks, raise them a bit then sell them as point of lay pullets, keep them and eat them, build up my own flock, or raise them for others to eat them.

You can buy chick leg bands in colors and numbers, but just make sure you take them off as they grow and change for larger ones.

7. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    We don't hatch a lot, in fact we are only on our second successful hatch, but we hatch and look for the ones we think would be the best for the flock (either looks or personality, preferably both) and sell the rest.

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Doesn't seem to matter how many I hatch, or what species... I can't keep them around long enough for them to start laying or to find out what they taste like... [​IMG]

[​IMG] My motto... "Please take them, so I can hatch more!!!" bwahahahahaha!!!!

9. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    We hatch them and sale them. This summer we have only keep 1 silkie hen. There is 4 baby silkies now and I am not sure if we are going to keep them or sale them. They are so cute.
    Chris

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I use a regular pencil to write on the eggs. Don't use a marker or anything like that it will seep into the shell.

If you can catch them as they hatch - and tell which ones are which (you might want to hatch them seperately) you can either put them into different brooders, or band them.

I don't know what you would use to band a baby that small though. Might be better to hatch the two in seperate batches, then you will be better able to tell who is who.

Peace -
    Meri

Yeah I would suggest seperating them during hatch, or staggering them so they hatch at different times. You can also band them. There are usually some on eBay for sale.

<edit> I have so far sold all my chicks, after the hen leaves them. I have about 13 that are still with the mamas, plus 16 or so in the brooder. These will also be sold, except for maybe 1 or 2. My father has egg-layers though, and he plans to hatch some to replace his hens in a year or so, plus we will be hatching a lot of his standards' eggs to sell as chicks in the spring.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by