For those who have chain link fence runs...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MoonShadows, Mar 2, 2013.

1. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    For those who have chain link fence runs...

I imagine most of you still attach an apron of hardware cloth below the ground and up a few feet on the fence to keep the little critters out, but how is this done where the gate is attached?

2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    You could add stone pavers at your gate entrance (12x12" stone paver is only $1). You may consider netting or chicken wire along with the chain link. I need to do this to my run fencing. Sparrows and even starlings get in the run and steel ALOT of food during the Winter.

3. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    That certainly would take care of the ground level, but what about the sides? You know, that gap on the hinged side and the side where the latch is attached. I can put hardware cloth on the "gaps" along the fencing itself, but when I get to the gate, the gate need to open.

4. 4 the Birds

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    The door gaps will be around 1/4" or 1/2" tops! What size cloth are you using? I make my doors and they don't have much of a gap.

Notice the small run door below. Maybe 1/4" gap all around. Your door will most likely be framed around on all the sides.

[​IMG]

5. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Maybe you could make a second gate, to be attached on the inside out of 2x2 and hardware cloth..use a 2x4 for post. So if your gate is 36" wide, make the inner gate 42" wide (or larger to cover the opening) to overlap the chain link gate on the inside of the run?

6. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop

7. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    That's not a bad idea at all!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  8. 4 the Birds

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Just grab some chicken wire (or hardware cloth) and and wire it to the edges of your door or door frame to fill the gap. Making a double door seems anal in my opinion.

9. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a run made out of chain link dog panels. Around the bottom 3or 4 ft I have thick plastic stuff that looks like hardware cloth. It works great an you don't have to worry about getting scratched up like with hardware wire. You can get the stuff at lowes beside the hardware cloth in the fencing section. I attach it with plastic wire ties. It bends with the gate when you open and close it. Across the top I put deer netting. The setup works good. For the bottom you can put pavers or just do concrete.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by