? for those who have incubated maran eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mothersin2ition, Sep 6, 2010.

1. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    Could you see veins by the 7th day? Mine are all really dark shelled, of course, but I feel like I should be seeing *something* by now. Did you have to use a special candler to be able to see anything?

2. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:I tried to see something, but dang, it was really dark in there. So, to answer your question: no. I didn't see anything and just hoped for a hatch. I got 4 chicks out of this hatch, 3 were marans, out of 12 eggs. [​IMG]

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I have really dark maran eggs -could not see a thing and bought a 115 lumen coleman max flashlight at walmart. I'm on day 11 and I definitely saw the veining before day 7.

4. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:I tried to see something, but dang, it was really dark in there. So, to answer your question: no. I didn't see anything and just hoped for a hatch. I got 4 chicks out of this hatch, 3 were marans, out of 12 eggs. [​IMG]

I always struggle with Marans' keep us posted on how it goes

5. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana

I always struggle with Marans' keep us posted on how it goes

Are Marans hard to hatch? Just curious.

6. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I tried 6 from Ebay so they had travelled before I put them in the incubator. I could see nothing when I candled all the way through and only 1 hatched. Of course it was a roo!!

7. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey jacyjones, Don't feel too bad as I put 14 BCM eggs in the incubator and only hatched 1 chick. It was a rooster also! Trying again with 14 more only this time have them under two broody hens and they are due to hatch this comming weekend. I don't have much success candling such dark eggs so I have just left them under the hens and so far they have not rolled any out of the nest. BTW, these are also E-bay shipped eggs so guess time will tell...

8. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Quote:I have to second this flashlight, it is extremely bright, and I can see veining and the air cell perfectly. They are still much harder to see through than any other lighter color, but at least I could see something. Best of luck to you. I have 20 maran eggs due to hatch tomorrow.

9. sequoiacyclist

sequoiacyclist Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Visalia, CA
    I wait until mine are 14 days old and then I candle them with a high-powered pen light. If the entire egg glows orange at this point chances are high that there is nothing in there. If only a little bit at the small/large end of the egg glows and the rest is dark chances are there is a chick inside. So far this method has proved to be quite effective to me, but when in doubt just put them back in the incubator. Hope this helps!

10. WVchick71

WVchick71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Small Town
    With mine...some you could see the veins in but others I could not. So, I just let mine go 23 days and what I get is what I get. I have had 2 hatches recently of BCM and the first did really well. (Hatching 8 of 11 eggs) The second hatch was not so good ( 4 of 12). Neither of these were shipped eggs just from my own flock. Good luck with yours! hatching is so exciting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by