For those who know apple and other difficult fruit trees

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KristyHall, Jun 28, 2011.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I am looking for apples, peaches, and plums that may grow well in an organic orchard here in the south. I know most commercial breeds need spraying and constant tending to produce. But I am hopping some fellow organic and/or sustainable enthusiasts could help me find a strain that would do well here in the southeast.

2. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I know apples are hard in the south, but I thought peaches and plums were easy here. (I'm south too just a little west of you)lol

3. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:not without a lot of care and pesticides. i have three peach trees. don't get a single peach off of them before the pests get them.

4. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    I live in NW Alabama, and we have more peaches than I want to put up! We moved here about 13 years ago, and planted peach, apple, pear, and fig trees. The peach tree is rocking, and the apple tree finally made a good crop this year. The fig and pear trees haven't done any good. The only thing that hubbo does is he prunes them way back every fall. And we planted the grapes, muscadines, and scuppernogs. And they are all doing great.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I have a Golden Dorset apple that does quite well without any particular regimen of care. I think the only time it gave me any grief was the first year when it caught fire blight, and I had to cut off most of the trunk. That was five or more years ago. Some years it has a really heavy crop, others a lighter crop. I don't recall ever spraying it for pests, or fertilizing it. I also have a (huge) pear tree (not sure what kind, it dates back to the early '70s when the house was new). Never fertilized or treated it with pesticides, and only have problems with bugs if I leave the picked pears in bags or baskets for more than few days. At our old house I had a fig tree, and always had problems with bugs and birds getting the fruit before I could.

6. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    There is one of those organic orchards not to far from here,i heard they spray a combination of nicotine and caffeine to keep the bugs away,is that still considered organic?

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I've always heard that about apple trees, too, that they didn't do well in Alabama & then it's only certain varieties. I wanted to try them this year, but we decided to plant citrus trees, instead. We've had scuppernongs planted here for 8 yrs & used to have a fig tree when we lived in town. We'll definitely be adding one of those here because I miss biscuits with fig preserves on them [​IMG]

You may have already seen this, but here's an ACES article on apple varieties: http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1138/

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    What is a scuppernong?

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
  10. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    We have a peach tree in our back yard. It does great. My grandmother had it grafted to a very young oak. We've got saplings from that tree all over the yard for one reason or another. The newest of the saplings is 2 years old and kicks out more fruit than we can stand. We have a cherry tree in the front yard that my dad planted a few years ago that put out the first spring it was here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by