For those who sell chicks....a breed question

Citychicks1984

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2016
Do you keep your hen/rooster of a specific breed separate from other breeds so that you don't get mix breed chicks? Or are people not too picky about mix breeds when they're not buying from a hatchery? I'm new to all of this and I wanted to start hatching eggs, but now all of these questions are popping up. I don't want to hatch too many if them being mixed is a problem. Thanks

I would imagine that a "pure breed" chick will sell for more than a mutt so maybe in depends on what you want to achieve. If you want a little more money then yes, separate the breeding stock. It may also be worth reading up on sex link chicks - at least you will be able to sell guaranteed (well, almost) pullets at one day old which will be more valuable than straight run options. Search for "sex links" in the search box here and you will get the info you need if you are interested in that option.

All the best
CT

I don’t sell chicks but occasionally some people want hatching eggs. You need to find a market. There are different ways to go.

Chicks from hatchery stock that are purebred should sell for more than mixed chicks from hatchery stock. These are nowhere near the quality of show chickens so you won’t be able to get the high process they can get, but it’s better than just mixed.

As CT said, if you can hatch sex linked chicks you can guarantee that they are pullets, but you them have the cockerels left over. What do you do with them? Practically no one wants cockerels.

If you can get chicks that are sure to lay blue or green eggs you just might have a hot product. You can get pure Ameraucanas or Ameraucanas and have colored eggs, or you can put a rooster from one of these breeds over all your hens, as long as he is a pure breed, and get pullets guaranteed to lay colored eggs. As long as those are the only roosters you have you don’t have to separate any of them.

If you can develop a specialty product you can get extra or maybe just sell hatching eggs instead of chicks. And even if you can’t get a lot more money per chick, you can find more customers. It’s better to sell them for something as opposed to not be able to sell them.

Good luck!

Thanks! I wasn't aware that colored eggs are more sought after. I already have one americauna hen, but idk what kind of rooster I have. (He was given to me)

welcome-byc.gif

Usually pure bred has a better market.

That said, there is a good market for specific mixed breeds. As RR mentioned, colored eggs are a great seller. So are some specific colors of feathers, no matter if they're pure bred or not. I was breeding mixed breed blue hens that lay blue eggs and had wonderful response. Dark eggs and olive eggs are quite popular right now. Folks don't always care if the dark egger hens are pure bred, most aren't going to breed anyway they just want a colorful basket.

Back
Top Bottom