1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

For those who take their birds to processors- quick question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mcdaid36, Jan 9, 2009.

1. mcdaid36

mcdaid36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    Found a couple of live poultry markets that will process my birds for $2 each. My husband asked me a question that I didn't know the answer to. How can you be sure you get back the same chickens that you brought in to process? How do you know the processor isn't keeping your nice healthy all natural birds and giving you back crappy ones that they have in the back? Just wondering.

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    The place I go to is small. They only do one order at a time. I literally waited in the van for my turn. they processed my chickens, and before you pay for them, you are able to look at them. The processing area is off limits but there was a waiting room. They go too fast, I think, to mix you up with another order, plus I was the next one in line so the guy ahead of me would have been off in #'s.... I took in 14, I left with 14...

Does that make sense?
    Good Luck! $2 is a good price. Do they do turkeys and ducks too?
    Christina

3. mcdaid36

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    I didn't ask about anything other than chickens, but I'd assume so. I doubt this place has many people bringing their own chickens in. It's a live poultry market, so most of their sales is people coming in, choosing their bird, and then they process it right away. And we live in an area where people call me a hippie because I have a few laying birds. No one else I know has chickens, nor have I ever seen any other than my own!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:I may sound dumb/naive asking this, is it like the live market you'd find in Little China? Where they have vendors set up and they process what you choose?

5. mcdaid36

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    Honestly, I've never been there, but plan to visit before bringing birds there to check on cleanliness, etc. A friend told me you walk i, pick what you want, they process and dress it and you take it right home. There's no vendors, it's just one building/store. It's about 45 minutes north of NYC, so we don't have small farms processing poultry around here. It's the only thing I could find. I still plan on making more calls and searching around a bit further north, but I thought it was a good start!

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:I'm gonna process my own but I am interested in where this place is. I am in Westchester so 45 min from nyc is pretty close to me [​IMG]

7. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    When we took our birds in, it was all very orderly. We put our names on our crates and they processed the birds one order at time. The finished birds were cooled and piled on a table for bagging. Each order had it's own table or area with the name tag next to it. I could tell the birds were mine by the size of them as well. They were very professional and I had no doubt that I got the birds that I raised.

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I also take mine in and wait in line, each order is done together no mix up. Cost 2 dollar each. 50 chicken, less than 30 min after they start on my order.

9. mcdaid36

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    I'm gonna process my own but I am interested in where this place is. I am in Westchester so 45 min from nyc is pretty close to me [​IMG]

I am right on the Westchester/Putnam border. While our home is about 1 hour north of NYC, the processing places are further south. There is a live poultry market in Yonkers (sounded a bit shady though) for $3 a bird, or one in Tarrytown for $2 a bird. The Tarrytown place was very nice on the phone. Maybe you would be interested in processing mine for me instead??? Where in Westchester are you? It's nice to meet another chicken person close to home! This will be our first batch of meat birds, and I'm probably going to start with only about 10 or so.

ANd I have another dumb question if someone could answer... If you're raising cornish x and one dies on it's own, is it still OK to dress and eat it or is it just garbage? Thanks!​

10. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:I am right on the Westchester/Putnam border. While our home is about 1 hour north of NYC, the processing places are further south. There is a live poultry market in Yonkers (sounded a bit shady though) for $3 a bird, or one in Tarrytown for $2 a bird. The Tarrytown place was very nice on the phone. Maybe you would be interested in processing mine for me instead??? Where in Westchester are you? It's nice to meet another chicken person close to home! This will be our first batch of meat birds, and I'm probably going to start with only about 10 or so.

ANd I have another dumb question if someone could answer... If you're raising cornish x and one dies on it's own, is it still OK to dress and eat it or is it just garbage? Thanks!

[​IMG] Finally someone close to me!!!!!!!

I am in New Rochelle. I cant believe there is a place in Yonkers!!! I dont think I would use them but I might have to drive over just to see!. Tarrytown makes a lot more sence since having chikens is legal there... This year SO and I processed a deer and I have done a few chickens with a friend of mines mother, but this year I plan on doing 15 this spring myself and then probably another 15 at the end of the summer. I just got my cones from a fellow BYC member and I am set to go. lol

Oh I would not eat the bird that died on its own, it may have been sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by