For those with dual purpose birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PolloAdoro, Nov 24, 2010.

1. PolloAdoro

PolloAdoro Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Conifer, Colorado
    How long will you let your hens age to before processing them? I figure you want to keep them around long enough to give you eggs, but at what point does the meat not taste so great? Thanks

2. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    When they don't lay enough eggs to pay for their own feed they go into the stew pot. We aim for stew their second fall, around the time their replacements start laying. First year many but small eggs. Second year, fewer but large eggs and stew.

I have a few favorite hens who have genetics I want to propagate. They'll be separated into a breeding flock away from the main layer flock and probably be allowed a few more years to lay, brood and bask in the sun.

In "Day Range Poultry" Andy Lee says he runs Golden Comets for one year then composts the birds. Not much market for stewing hens, not because they ever taste bad, but because they aren't microwavable. There's no cut off point for eating the bird. She'll get tough before a year is out. She'll always make great soup.

3. PolloAdoro

PolloAdoro Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Conifer, Colorado
    Thank You

4. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    bumping this back up to the top since it started over Thanksgiving..

Christal

5. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Ditto the above, but let me emphasize AWESOME soup. You haven't had chicken soup until you get some made with a mature older bird. Mega flavor.

6. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    wood&feathers :

Ditto the above, but let me emphasize AWESOME soup. You haven't had chicken soup until you get some made with a mature older bird. Mega flavor.

What do you call a older mature bird? I have seen that classification used differently.. I have a roo that might be headed to freezer camp if his attitude remains the same. He is 8 months old.

Thank you,

Christal​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by