For those with sand floor in their coop...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hamptons06, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    What kind do I buy? Can I buy it at Lowe's?

2. vyshtia

vyshtia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Norco, CA
    Look for construction or all-purpose sand - it should be different sized grits in it. I got mine from Home Depot.

3. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Quote:I can sprinkle the DE over it no prob right?? What do you use the pick up the poop?

4. vyshtia

vyshtia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Norco, CA
    Use food grade DE just in case. Sometimes DE is dusty and some chicks get respiratory issues with it. I would sprinkle DE in 1 spot first and see if there is any problems, then expand it's use slowly. I use a litter box scoop and a painters flat metal spatula thing to scrape dry poo off wood. I've seen people use slotted spoons/spatulas too...

5. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Quote:I have the food grade codex DE from the feed store. I'll get a litter box scoop tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    You can buy the sand far cheaper at a material supply place. All concrete plants have it on hand by the ton or minimum for a small load. Some place that sells gravel and stone will have it too. It is coarse sand, the type used for concrete. Nice thing about it is that you never have to be concerned about grit again either. It has jillions of the right-sized pieces of grit.

7. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    I use a rake to clean mine and it works great, the sand passes through but I catch the poops. I read a post from one industrious BYCer who attached hardware cloth to a rake to make it work even better. A kitty litter scoop would work too. I am so happy with my new coop with sand in the bottom, what a big difference! Hope you like it too.

8. [​IMG] me if you want,

I would get mine in the woods or on the road...all comes natural to me, it's EVERYWHERE. [​IMG]

Hmm what a thought...maybe good idea to sell Florida sand to those anywhere else... [​IMG]

9. goldenchic

goldenchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    i have woodshavings in my coop but its not very big but absorbs poo very well, my run is wired all the way under to stop anything getting in with lino on top of wire so they dont hurt there feet, then sand on top of that it is so low maintenance, when i change the sand the lino can just be washed down i have mine on concrete as i gave no grass this way they can still scrat & forage:)

10. Sammimom

Sammimom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Sammamish,WA
    We have a small run (6x10) so I just got sandbox sand in bags at the hardware store a block away from my house. It is SO easy to clean!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by