For your inspection!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mingming, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Mingming

Mingming Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    NJ
    [​IMG]
    Please help - I got these babies 4 weeks ago and have spent every available minute trying to figure out if they're keepers (pullets) or not (roos). Trust me, it's not me but the town I live in ... no roos allowed :(

Trying to take their pictures is so much more difficult than I thought! Here's the one that worries me the most, as her (I tell you, HER!) comb has turned red already. She's supposed to be a lemon cuckoo orpington, and she's almost 7 weeks old. But look at her tail, that's a pullet, right??

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sorry, at seven weeks with that comb and those tree trunk legs, that's a cockeral. You can keep it until it shows definate signs, but that's my bet.

3. bird boy

bird boy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2012
    Looks like a pullet at this time. The roos ususally get longer feathers (Hackle) at the neck and stand more upright although it can be hard to tell at 4 weeks. Of course at the first sign of a crow you can put a rooster on craigslist and sell it quite quickly.

4. Mingming

Mingming Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    NJ
    Ok thanks for your replies! 50/50 ... just like it was 4 weeks ago LOL

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Females should not have that comb/wattle development, ESPECIALLY orpingtons, which when properly bred are notoriously difficult to sex even at 15 weeks. What other breeds does the person you got it from have? It may not be an orp, or just the most masculine one I've ever seen on this forum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by