1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Forage Cakes?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gel2727, May 14, 2009.

1. gel2727

gel2727 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    CT
    I'm looking through the McMurray catalog online and they have something call a Forage Cake. This just looks like a big suet to me. Is it basically the same thing? Can chickens eat regular suet?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I give mine lard or beef fat cakes in the winter. I make them myself, so I can control what goes in them. Usually some scratch, grit, cornmeal, bird seed- just whatever I have on hand.
    The chickens love them.

I don't do it in the warmer months, too fatty! And they melt here in SC. [​IMG]

3. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    Sorry I can't answer your question but thank you for posting it because you tough me something. I had never heard of this.

4. mechagrue

mechagrue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Deception Pass, WA
    Funny, I had the opposite question, "I've read about forage cakes, but where do I buy them?" I wondered if anyone had tried them.

I read about forage cakes in one of my chicken books ("How To Raise Chickens," Christine Henrichs). It has a FULL PAGE devoted to singing the praises of forage cakes. Seriously, I triple-checked the article looking for "paid advertisement."

"Forage Cakes are essentially giant granola bars, formulated as nutritional/behavioral supplements for chickens and other fowl. Used as directed, Forage Cakes will help captive birds better utilize their entire diet."

They are made with a higher quality set of ingredients compared to regular chicken feed, so they will digest better - so that the chickens need less food. They're also less messy, and give the birds something to peck. "Embedded treats such as nuts, seeds, grains and flower petals encourage natural foraging behaviors, which is highly stimulating for confined chickens."

My guess is that the forage cakes would be awesome for battery/commercial hen houses. But surely our backyard chickens get plenty of nutrition, treats, and entertainment. And without having run the numbers, I'm going to guess that forage cakes cost at least 10x more than regular chicken feed.

5. gel2727

gel2727 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    CT
    I think they'd be nice for a treat once in a while. I saw them online at McMurray, and I also saw them in my local Agway. They are kind of expensive, which is why I was asking if they could eat suet (its so cheap). I have a few suets around, but when I put them out for the birds either the squirrels eat it all, or my cats are there waiting for the birds to come. So I figured, hey, maybe I can just give them to the chickens.

6. johncampanelli

johncampanelli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Hudson, Ohio
    I just got an email that these forage cakes are on sale at McMurray

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/weeklyspecial.html

and was wondering if they might be nice for the girls during the brutal winter months when free ranging in two feet of snow is impossible.

What do you do when you make your own, Ranchhand? Do you bake them?

Do you have a recipe?

Thanks!

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I sell 'forage' cakes on my website and mini-muffins for bantams and serama [​IMG]

My chickens adore them!!

www.camelot1999.webs.com

8. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
  9. Sallyintucson

Sallyintucson Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    My chickens love forage cakes. Since I only have three, I buy them in the smaller size so they'll last longer. Keep in mind that these are treats, so they do not replace a regular diet. (It says so on the package.) My girls love them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by