Forage cakes????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JudyMcKinn, Nov 9, 2007.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Are the forage cakes listed on Murray McMurray's website the same ones that were the subject of so much controversy on the old BYC website last year? They are listed as about 7 inches square and a couple inches thick, for a little over $17.00. I would think they should be REALLY good at that price. Has anyone tried them?

2. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Judy, I think those are the same ones and someone here said they made a horrible mess. Can't remember who that was, though.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You could use a mix if crumbles, mixed scratch grains and boss and mix it in with melted pure shortening (soybean oil) and a tiny bit of parafin wax (used like when making chocolate candy) and pack it into a form then slice it when it sets up and have your own custom mix of treats and seeds.

5. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    You could use a mix if crumbles, mixed scratch grains and boss and mix it in with melted pure shortening (soybean oil) and a tiny bit of parafin wax (used like when making chocolate candy) and pack it into a form then slice it when it sets up and have your own custom mix of treats and seeds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What's "boss" MissPrissy? I like the idea of suets or forage cakes and your suggestion sounds pretty easy with exception to my having no idea what boss is! Thanks!

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    boss = black oil sunflower seeds

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    One of my objections with this product is that the amount of calcium is not known (one of the ingredients used has an immense amount of calcium)...another concern was the risk of mycotoxin and fungal problems with it being left out so long (this was reflected also in a correspondence I had with one of the so/called developers who when asked denied the connection claimed on her expertise)
    I make my own `forage cakes ` ... just use cooked (human) oatmeal as your base (I do not use grease or fat as birds can have the same heart problems from it as mammals) and then add your feed to it and whatever other goodies you wish such as vitamins, dried or cooked cranberries (not raw) or other dried fruits and sunflower hearts etc etc. (if necessary add more oatmeal or feed till you cn gather it into a ┬┤patty┬┤ of the size you are fairly sure the birds will eat in a 24 hour period to ensure it is fresh and stays so) ...put in a plastic baggy and freeze.

ETA: I do not use the "pattiecakes" to replace feed in feeders, but as a treat on cold days when they are bored from inactivity and showing little interest in teh feeders or when I have to keep them penned.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  8. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Thanks MissPrissy and Dlhunicorn for the responses --I do have the sunflower seed-- guess I'm not to up to date on the test messaging age for I would know all these abbreviations!! I haven't thought about the molding but that is enough of a deterent for me..mine have enough treats, I think with this new info I will forgo the forage cake idea. Thanks again ya'll. Darlene

9. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    I tried a few. My chickens don't really like them. With the smell of mallassis(sp) I bet the horses would.

10. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Thanks, everyone. I just wondered if it was the same stuff, and thought the price was--well--incredible! for something 6 inches square by 2 inches thick, approx. Guess I will stick with the simple stuff, like a little scratch, for entertainment.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by