Forage, gather and hunt- What did you score today???

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Damummis, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Up to date I have foraged 75lbs of Blackberries.

Today I will be gathering blueberries, potatoes and whatever else I can find.
    The freezer WILL be full this winter. [​IMG]

2. BettyR

BettyR Songster 10 Years

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Wow...that's a lot of blackberries!!! Cool!

3. Carolyn

Carolyn Songster

Apr 6, 2008
    Your blackberries did better than mine by far. I didn't have much F, G or H today but I did find a fantastic sale on blueberries $1.25 a pint. I wanted to try drying some and making syrup so I loaded up. I put my own and local farmers market in freezer already.

Do you pick poke salat in the spring? Rates up there with black berries for foraging around here. I am watching some elderberries but they aren't ready. I would love a suggestion for an easy way to wash and clean them.

4. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    2.5 lbs of blueberries today. Season is winding down OR we picked them all [​IMG]

No, on the poke salat. Not sure what it is. Now I will look it up though. Thanks

5. Carolyn

Carolyn Songster

Apr 6, 2008
    Poke salat is from the poke plant, the ones that are several feet tall in TN now and have purple berries that birds love but they are poisonous. In the very early spring before it has seed heads some folks like to pick the leaves.. You parboil them an couple of times then cook the grees till tender. I like it best when you then fry a piece or 2 of bacon til crisp, add chopped green or regular onion and cook til transparent. You then add drained poke greens (which are now called salat), cook until hot then crack 1-2 eggs over it and cook until done. Get the cornbread ready by the time you finish.

I have lived many places in the south and people either love it or would not dream of eating it. Since it grows wild all over the place it is easy to forage.

6. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    I don't have any Poke plants here. I did when I lived in CT. I was always warned that they were poisonous. However I did look it up and yup, don't have it here. Darn, I would have tried it. When the SHTF we will need to know this stuff. [​IMG]

7. walnuthollow

walnuthollow In the Brooder

Jan 23, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    We have two eldeberry bushes and the birds always get to them first... [​IMG]
    Same with the cherries....only last year we netted them and kept most of the
    birds from them...when we went down to pick them, not a cherry left, just a little
    ole' chipmunk running away with the last one... [​IMG] Apparently the little guy and
    his friends chewed a hole through the netting around the trunk and cleaned 'em
    all up! [​IMG]

8. chickabator

chickabator Songster

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    my sister in laws scorded big time today one got all of my ultrex cookware some had never been used and my other got my big foreman grill my hotdog maker and a bunch of tupperware and coffee cups!!! all I got was a hard time from dh. cleaning out everything and getting rid of a bunch of stuff dh bought that is just too much stuff in this little trailer of ours not enough counter space or cabinet space closet space we have out grown our home so it is either move ( which we cant afford ) or get rid of it all.

9. Carolyn

Carolyn Songster

Apr 6, 2008
    Red sumac berries for Indian lemonade!!! They are nice this year because we have had so little rain. Free food with lots of vitamin C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: