foraging

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rte.66_chicks, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Are BO's and Brahmas good foragers? I was going to include RIR's in the chick mix I'm ordering, but decided not to when I read that BO's are so gentle that they are frequently the bottom of the pecking order, and that RIR's can be aggressive.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The general aggressive vs passive bird thing really does depend on the strain. If you get hatchery birds, I bet it will be a good toss up on personalties. The only birds I have ever had that were not good foragers were big crested birds that couldn't see. As long as they can see, I bet they will forage great.. and eat all your landscaping and garden work. [​IMG]

3. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Thanks! I plan on chicken-proofing anything I don't want them in. And since we don't have a lot of flying predators, their run will have a 4 ft. fence. I've had previous hens fly over that height, so I clipped their wing feathers, and even when they grew new ones they didn't realize they could get over again.

I'm ordering my chicks tomorrow from McMurray, and then finishing the brooder we started building, modeled after one we saw here! Cant wait to have a flock of busy-bodies running around the yard again, and "helping" with everything we do outside, from changing oil to weeding.[​IMG]

4. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    My brahmas are great foregers!

5. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    My BOs are good foragers and the two dominant hens in my small flock of 5. No one around here is picking on Shuffles. . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by