1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Forced air hova bator help HELP ME PLEASE..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Silkiemom2, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Silkiemom2

Silkiemom2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    Is the fan sopossed to stay on at all times,mine comes on when the thermostat comes on ,,is this correct?Its holding a temp,of 99.5-99.7,humidity is between 64-68,im keeping water in the bottom,like it says to do...Im getting eggs in Thur.I wanna make sure im doing this correctly.I also have a turner,after i get the eggs in and have them sit at room temp. for 8-12 hrs,do i put them in the batir and plug in the turner right away..Please help,me its been quite awhile since i have done this..Is it also normal that this brand new truner i got it,makes loud noises once in awhile??

2. bmatrow

bmatrow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Missouri
    I have two hova bators, I'm not sure if maybe you just have a different model but my fans stay on constantly. Though your temps look like they are pretty well spot on. My hova bators also have two bins for water in the bottom tray. I fill the first one only for the first 18 days keeps a pretty steady 55-58% humidity and at day 18 I fill the second one takes it up about 10% more. From what I've read I would try and get your humidity down a bit for the first 18 days of incubation and back to about where you have it for the last three. As for the egg turner I couldn't say because I don't have one. I would assume they would have fairly silent operation but I have never seen one operate. Although mentioning that I think I will order one right after I get done typing this... Best of luck to you.

3. Silkiemom2

Apr 5, 2012
    How would i lower the humidity?Is their anyway to rewire the fan,so it will stay on all the time..

4. Renie'sPeeps

Renie'sPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Orford, NH
    Make sure you only have the big "P" shape panel in the bottom of the tray filled first...... check your turner to make sure there is no obstructions which would cause it to make excessive noises.... then place turner and eggs back into the bator. Place the lid back on.. watch your instruments to see where the humidity reads.... Are you using more than one humidity gauge? Sometimes those digital ones can be off a bit. I started just using one of those simple outdoor type with thermometer/humidity gauge in one made by Acurite. They are simple and pretty darn accurate. If the humidity remains high.. You can pull out one of those red caps in the lid.... and if that doesn't help bring it down.. then prop the lid of your bator open just enough to let the humdity out... Keep and eye on the gauges to make sure it doesn't drop down too much and your heat is staying consistant. You will have to keep a close eye on things until you can get it stable

Good Luck

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  5. Silkiemom2

Apr 5, 2012
    My eggs are coming in thur..I only have that chamber filled with water,like you said,But now im concerned with the fan,it only comes on when the thermostat comes on..Do i need to worry,seems to be holding temp. very good.humidity is reading 62 right now.Turner is brand new,nothing obstructing it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  6. Silkiemom2

Apr 5, 2012
  7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    My Hovabator 1588 tray has five different water reservoirs, so it sounds like a different model if you only have two reservoirs. I suggest you contact GQF, the manufacturer of your incubator and ask them. They were pretty responsive when I had a question. You can e-mail them at the "sales" contact buttton at the bottom of this page.

http://www.gqfmfg.com/store/company.asp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by