Forced Air Temperature? - It's Not Heating Up!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GracefulBantams, Feb 11, 2008.

1. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I have a Hova-Bator, forced air model, that I am just getting ready to fill with eggs.
    The problem is, I am only used to still air incubators, so I don't know what temperature to set this one at [​IMG]

Edited to add:
    See my 3rd post. I am having another trouble!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

What model is it? If it's one with an electronic thermostat you shouldn't have to do anything with it. Other wise you need to try and get it to 99.5.

3. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks [​IMG]
    If I remember right, it is #1583. As far as I know, it doesn't have an electronic thermostat...

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Graceful....yup 99.5 is where my forced air is sitting...good luck girl......

5. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks, Okiechick.

Okay you all, I've been turning it up little-by-little all day long, and I can't get it past 82*F. Am I not turning it enough, is the heating element bad, it the thermometer wrong, do ones with fans just take longer...?? What is wrong?

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    IF this is the wafer model, then I would make a complete turn and wait for about 2 hours. They do tend to take a while to warm up. If you open it, it has to start all over so try to avoid that and you should get there.

If it still doesn't budge, I would try another thermometer or assume the wafer is probably bad.

BTW..get a couple extra wafers..they don't usually give warning when they're going to stop working. Best to have at least one on hand.

Jody

7. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    It does have a wafer.
    Now, after it having a grand total of 2 full turns today, it is finally up to 90*F and rising! So, I guess I just have to be patient [​IMG]

Quote:Thanks, that's a good idea. I need to order a digital thermometer anyways, so I'll get one or two of those while I'm at it [​IMG]

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yeah, the initial setup takes the longest to get it right. Once it is set, you will find you won't have to adjust much ever again. I really liked these bators and had several of them because the hatches went so well. I have since upgraded to Sportsman and Brinsea, but I kind of wish I still had these wafer/fan models as well. Good luck.

Jody

9. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I would love to get a big ol' Sportsman, but for now, I do really like this one. [​IMG]

10. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Okay, check out my last post on this thread. I think we are good to go [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by