Forced Cooperation

fiberart57

Songster
10 Years
May 31, 2009
Colorado
Friday I rescued a 20 month old Andalusian who was running wild with wild turkeys. She's in her own pen and my 2.5 year olds, a flock of five, spent a little time today either fighting with her, ignoring her, or yelling about it. She does have some bloody cuts on her wattles as the result of an argument through the fencing. I can put Neosporin and Blu Kote on it.

Eventually they seemed to tolerate each other although mine don't look thrilled at her presence.

She escaped her run tonight before dark and I found her roosting in the middle of a juniper bush - I think that's how she survived in the wild. I'd like her to get used to the coop and the others soon - before I have to go back to work.

I'd like to force some cooperative spirit here. Can I put her on the roost with the other girls at night and remove her in the morning before they wake up? Will that help get her scent mixed in with theirs and hurry the integration?

Mary

I can put Neosporin and Blu Kote on it.
Those would be fine to use, but not a 'have to' if there is not blood present.

Will that help get her scent mixed in with theirs and hurry the integration?
Chickens don't really smell, not to say they can't but just that they rely on other senses more.
A dog or cat would use smell more than a common chicken. They would just have to work it out. The "pecking order" is what they normally go by, and sometimes it just takes time and rarely some may never be excepted. Most of the time introduction can be violent, but if she is not getting bet to badly they should eventually except her somewhere in the ranks.

Back
Top Bottom