Forced Molting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brooster, Aug 11, 2008.

1. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    My hens are a year old, and have not molted yet as they have artificial lighting. Once this years chicks begin to lay, i want to put the older girls in a molt, they need it. How would i get them to molt ? I read to put them in the dark garage with 8 hours of light and only water, and just a little scratch each day. Sounds kinda mean not feeding them, but if that is what it takes, i will do it.

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I was wondering about my girls the other day - they are also a year old and no molt yet - I am worried as winter isn't that far off, they can NOT molt in winter - they'll DIE, it gets way tooo cold here.

3. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    My 13 month old hens are just starting to moult. I am sure others will weigh in on your questions, but I am learning that chickens need even more protein and continued good food, when growing feathers than when laying eggs. It's hard on them.

Anne

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Why not just expose them to natural daylight/dark cycles, and let nature take it's course? My chickens moult every fall, all by themselves, it's easier on them than artificially inducing a natural process.

I don't stop feeding them when they moult.

5. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    i need eggs all year long, so i want to have them molt at different times.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:For me I just don't want my chickens losing all their feathers when the weather goes below zero - nature or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by