Forced to plan to winter a rooster in a small cage?

bryan99705

Songster
11 Years
May 16, 2011
North Pole, Alaska 99705
I've not found a better idea than to winter my roo thru our long winter, in the garage, in order to have a battle proven adult to protect my juvey birds next spring from the raven attacks I dealing with. The cage is about 3X3 and 6' tall (ferret cage). Has anyone done this and what issues am I facing? Boredom? Cabin fever? Lonely? Sorry, I draw the line at a chicken diaper! Looking for suggestions.

Can you flip the cage down so it is a 3x6? That would allow 18sq feet. for him. Also, I don't do it but people will lock their chickens in the coop all winter long with no problems.

*Is* there a rest-of-the-flock (in which case I'd think you'd just keep him with them??) or is this the ONLY chicken you're overwintering and will start with new pullets next spring?

If he's the only one, well, I guess you don't really have any CHOICE do you, just have to hope the winter alone doesn't make him too crazed and antisocial, which it certainly might but it sounds like you consider it worth the "try and see". I'm with the previous poster, make the cage 3x6 not just 3x3, if at all possible.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

If I did this I would put 2 roosters together in cages side by side. They will prefer each other's company to being alone, and that way you have an extra choice come spring.
wink.png

Make sure they get plenty of vitamin D, e.g. cod liver oil. This is the chief problem with over-wintering birds and it's been reduced a lot since synthetic vitamins. Today's feeds should be well D fortified but it's handy to keep cod liver oil just in case. Lack of D will inhibit calcium absorption and rickets etc can set in. Hanging greens will provide lots of entertainment as well as some vitamins too.

Good luck, I think it sounds perfectly fine, and lots of people have done it (especially with show roosters that aren't bred with right away). It's not ideal in some ways but if it's either that or putting young birds down for lack of space, I know what I'd do.
smile.png

Quote:
Oh don't worry about the rest of the flock, they will be in a "climate controlled enviroment" aka the freezer. I start new birds every spring because of the super cold we have.

Quote:
Thanks for the comment about the vitamins, any ideas about getting him to take it and how much he needs? In the water? Soaked into chunks of bread? (Mongo like bread)

It will be just one bird as I usually run about 6 - 8 hens and some waterfowl.

I was thinking with tall cage so he can hop between perchs and sections of floor but still roost up high where the heat is and I can still use the "caca" tray on the bottom

Why not think about foster care for him in a warmer climate? There are dozens of Mat Valley folks with hens, Some in Kenai, more in Homer. Climates there are milder, you might find someone to foster care him with their hens for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom