Forceful census takers? Anyone else being bagered?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chicken Fruit, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    We filled out our census mailer back at the beginning of march. Right after my son was born. Mailed it in. We didnt even WANT to, and we didnt know that legally all we have to do is give the number of people in the household. So we filled out the whole entire thing. Well, 7 Weeks later a census worked left a note in our door. I didnt call back- I knew we had already filled out the thing long ago. Two or three weeks later, about the middle of may or so, ANOTHER showed up on my porch asking that I fill out the census. I said I already had, months ago, and mailed it in. She said that if I had it must be lost or not processed and I would have to fill one out with her. I told her no, I already participated in the census and I would not fill out a second. She insisted that I had to let her in and do the questionair with her. I flat out told her absolutely not. "You can mark down that four people live here, and have a nice day" and shut the door in her face. She was really getting snotty at that point. Well I got a note about a week later left in my door that I missed such and such census worker and to call them to set up a time to complete the census. LAST NIGHT i found ANOTHER one stuck in the door AGAIN! That makes FOUR!

I've heard of about 5 other people I know going through the same issue, EXACT same issue. I wondered if any of you have heard or have gone through something similar.

I am not an antigovernment freak or anything, But I REALLY dont like this census. Its too different from all the others, and they are SO forceful. They even tried tricking my parents into answering all the questions- even after they kindly explained they would only do what was legally required- give the number of people in the house. Three people have shown up on their stoop since.

WHAT is going on with this thing?!

2. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    I have not had the problem myself but have heard that alot of people are having problems with census workers harassing them. FYI.... watch out for census scammers.

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:pretty much same thing happened here. We let the 3rd one know that we had mailed ours in, participated twice, and if another one showed up we'd take it as harassment and would act accordingly. Trying to badger her way into your house? Does she want to eat soft foods for the rest of her life? Sheesh. There is no law that says you have to let them in.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Definitely ask for ID and look at it carefully. I mailed ours in and have been lucky, it must have gotten processed. Haven't seen any on the doorstep yet, though I did expect it. It helps that our driveway is REALLY hard to find! It's not on the road named in our address.

Good point Boyd, I missed that one. They do NOT have any right to actually enter the premises.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  5. NRacine

NRacine Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    Maybe it's time to call someone above these people and put a stop to it. Obviously telling several different people what is happening is not working. When the next one comes, get their supervisor's number. Take some action.

6. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Quote:SHE DID WHAT??!!
    I worked for the last census. We were told under NO CICUMSTANCE were we to invite ourselves in, better yet, NEVER enter even if invited. Check this persons I.D. to make sure you're dealing with an actual census worker and not someone trying to see what you have so they can come back later to steal.

7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That right there would have sent up red flags with me. If all she really wanted was #of occupants, well she does NOT need to enter your home to get that info. I'd have been calling the police at that point. Using the threat of Federal prosecution to try and bully your way into someone's home is a no no.

Have any of your neighbors been having this problem? You do all use the same post, so if your mailed in one didn't make it then there's might not have either? OR if this is an info scam (scarily possible given the tenacity for ALL info not just #) then letting the neighborhood know might be a good idear.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:SHE DID WHAT??!!
    I worked for the last census. We were told under NO CICUMSTANCE were we to invite ourselves in, better yet, NEVER enter even if invited. Check this persons I.D. to make sure you're dealing with an actual census worker and not someone trying to see what you have so they can come back later to steal.

Yes part of their training, they are NOT to ever enter the home even it is pouring down raining. They will remember to bring an umbrella next time!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  9. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    well- this is a small area and I know the woman, have for years, so I know its not fraud. but it is someone diffrerent every time. its happening to so many people they cant all be imposters- its like theyre training them to press as hard as possible for all this info and stuff.

its not good. theres something not right with it. government-wise i mean.

10. Mommi3130

Mommi3130 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Michigan
    We are having the same problems with the census, they are calling at least 2x's a day. I did my part and filled it out and sent it back. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by