Forceful Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PruittFarm, Apr 21, 2017.

1. PruittFarm

PruittFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2017
    Burgaw N.C
    I just got a new hen last night (age un known) I put her in the isolation pen gave her food and water made sure everything was Secure and went to go make dinner. While cutting vegetables I looked out the window and saw "Roo" my cockerel hightailing it across the yard to the isolation pen. I walked outside in time to see him break into the coop Corner her and force himself on her... Roo is only 7 months old. Is this normal??

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Yes, but you might need to think about your isolation pen. To start with its not very secure if a rooster broke into it. A isolation pen needs to be far away from the other chickens----just in case your new chicken had a problem/sickness. My Isolation pen it a long way from my flock----150 to 200yrds away. If you do not have a lot of distance you need as much as you can get----across the yard with the new chicken in something like a cage with a piece of water proof "something" on the top. Good Luck

3. PruittFarm

PruittFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2017
    Burgaw N.C
    I've been using a extra large dog crate on the opposite side of my house from my cooo up on the the porch so that I can see the pen from my bedroom, guest room, and kitchen window but having it as far away from my coop as possible i will add some more locks an make sure its door is against the brick wall.. I've just never seen him so eager to get to a newbie..

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK, keep in mind Isolation means---no contact, a place where no others can get near it. If you got her on the porch and the other chickens can walk right up to the cage----you might as well just not put her in the cage because she is not isolated. If the rooster can come to her in the cage and he goes back to the others----if this chicken had a problem----he would carry that problem back to the flock. If you free range and have no such place----you need to find a place away from your home to keep any new chickens for a few weeks---a place where they do not have chickens. I would hate to see you type---""I got a new chicken 2 weeks ago and now my whole flock is bad sick""----I have seen this happen. Good Luck

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The rooster’s behavior sounds normal. When a rooster sees a new hen he often mates with her to demonstrate he is the dominant rooster and accept her into his flock. If I isolate a hen for a while, even 10 minutes, when I put her back with the flock the rooster often immediately mates with her to show he is the dominant rooster. If I remove the dominant rooster from the flock for a few minutes, then put him back with the flock, he usually immediately mates a hen to show he is the dominant rooster.

To me, his behavior does not sound unusual. He found a new lady and wanted her in his flock.

2 people like this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^....especially a 7 month old cockerel.

How old is the new 'hen'...and your other females?

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
    Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
    Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by