1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Foreign rooster stomping his feet at me

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by XenArgon, Aug 4, 2014.

1. XenArgon

XenArgon New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    Cayman Islands
    I have to provide a bit of background before I get called out for posting in the wrong section. I'm raising an orphan chick whose mom was hit by a car. Obviously its living conditions aren't spectacular, but I take it outside often so it can forage (I say it, someone told me it was female, I suppose I should use the pronoun).

There are many chickens in Grand Cayman, but there's just one rooster that lives in our complex, who I named Castiel. Whenever he was around, he'd walk right up to my chick and, on one occasion, he actually tried to pick her up. So.. I definitely became wary of him. Now my chick will run to me whenever she sees him. Gradually, though, interactions with him became shorter, and I stopped seeing him for a while.

Earlier today, I was sitting in a lounge chair as my chick was energetically foraging several feet away from me. Castiel slowly made his way over to her, but didn't seem to focus on her this time. Instead, he walked in front of her, blocking her from my view. He put his wing down and started stomping his feet.

I did some searching, and figure that this is either some form of dominance or aggression, but I hadn't seen anyone mention this behavior with a chick in question. He was very obviously doing this at me, but I'm not sure what exactly he's trying to do. I'd love to be friendly with him, but if he's going to start attacking me and my chick, then I'll have to start trying to scare him away.

Long question short, I'm looking for some feedback on what he's doing, and what I should do about it.

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Maybe he us trying to protect the chick? I'm not sure but it could be a dominance thing

3. kittydoc

kittydoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    Near Indianapolis
    I am very concerned your safety, as well as the safety love the chick. This rooster is treating you like a hen, both showing it dominance to you as well as courting behavior. If this were your own rooster I could tell you what to try to do, but since he is wild basically, the most important thing for you to do is remove yourself and the chick from his presence so quickly and calmly as possible. If he charges at you do not run but instead chase him back and keep chasing him for a reasonable distance . If you look online and on Backyard Chickens you will find links to dealing with aggressive or dominant roosters. Bless you for taking care of that little chick. I hope it all turns out well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by