1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

" forever mama help"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by redneck farmer, Feb 4, 2013.

1. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone know of the quickest way to become a group of chicks "forever mama"

2. redneck farmer

I was thinking just using treats but they r to small for that

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Give them lots of attention so they imprint on you. Don't be suprised when they get about 3 months old (teenagers) and they stop being so friendly. Once they get grown they will come back around and be your friend again.

4. redneck farmer

alright thanks[​IMG]

5. redneck farmer

What do u mean by attention?? Just watching an talking to them? Petting them? Holding them?

6. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    All of the above, just dote on them and touch them all over, hold, snuggle and cuddle. It can be time consuming but is soo worth it!

7. redneck farmer

They
    they don't like being held that much.. The more I hold tem the more they don't mind?

8. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Being a prey animal instinct tells them to be afraid. You have to teach them that you are not going to hurt them and who is boss. You know you've won when something scares them and they run to you.

9. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    RonC is right and to get them to see you as harmless you have to handle them a lot, touching unusual places teaches them you won't hurt them if you ever need to treat them for something, they will be very resistant at first because it is instinct, you just have to work to love that out of them!

Good lik and have fun!

10. redneck farmer

Thanks y'all a lot!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by