Forgive me, I'm new:(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jjdward, May 15, 2009.

1. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    I want some geese and I have a question. I have read about a ratio of roos to hens and drakes to ducks, but what about geese? I have seen them sold in pairs so do geese do better in pairs or is there a ratio? I was thinking about getting 5 geese and was wanting to get 4 females/1 male. Does this make sense? [​IMG]

2. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

Younger geese are fine in trios, but as they get older they begin settling down into pairs and ignoring the mistress.

It'll also depend on what type of geese you get. Large breeds really should be kept in pairs to keep fertility up. Medium sized breeds can get away with trios and your light breeds are fine in quartets.

What type of geese are you wanting to get? And why do you want them?

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Why???

Why not? Have you ever seen a sebestepol?

Besides, it is the next logical step once you get ducks [​IMG]

4. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Not "Why do you want geese at all?" but "Do you plan on raising them for something specific?" [​IMG]

Do you plan on raising meat geese? Are these geese going to be around small children? Do they need to be quiet or does it matter? Do you want guard geese?

All of that is going to greatly affect the breed you get. With geese, it's better to start with the breed best fitted for what you want rather than the first goose you come across.

5. jjdward

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    I want geese just to have them [​IMG]. They will be around small children some but 90% of the time not. They don't have to be quite, i live out in the sticks and having gaurd geese would be kinda neat too. Of course I don't want to be attacked either. I guess I would eat a goose but that is not their sole purpose. I also wouldn't mind letting them hatch some babies. I'm I wanting too much? [​IMG]

6. jjdward

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Testing 1 2 3. Testing 1 2. (thump thump) IS THIS THING ON?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by