Forgot chicken was in the house.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by emvickrey, Jul 27, 2010.

1. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I let one of my hens spend the night inside because I haddug out 3 different spots on her feet from bumble foot. It was suppose to rain and I didn't want her to get her new pandages wet and dirty just yet. So we started out in the bathroom and I had paper spread on most of the floor. She kept sleeping on the only spot that didn't have paper so I found her a perch on the rung of one of my kitchen chairs and put paper under her. I had planned to get up eary so she couldn't poop all over the house. Well, I didn't and she did. We keep our bedroom door shut and when I got up there she was. At the door. She went in and I went out to see what all she had pooped on and while I was cleaning it all up DH was yelling and telling me this isn't going to work. I went in the bedroom and there she was. Perched on his pillow. I wish I had thought to get a picture. What a way to get woke up, Hhu? On top of all that the dog has gotten sick during the night. She stays in our room at night. I told her scratch wasn't for dogs. Anyway. I spent my morning cleaning up chicken poop and dog puke. I wasn't able to eat till a few minutes ago. Now I have to go and "dispatch" about a dozen quail and that's normally DH's job. I'm still working up the courage to do it. I discovered I have another hen with bumble foot and she's not gonna be such a good patient.
    Then DH goes out and noticed oil under his truck and checked it and it was empty. So he had to get that straightened out so he could go to work and it all has me worried about making it to Chickenstock. I know we'll make it but it would be nice to have extra cash while we're there.

Ok, i'm done ranting.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I don't know whether to [​IMG] or [​IMG](because the chicken is on your DHs pillow), so I'll do both. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Even though I had a huge mess to clean up. When I saw her making her self comfortable on his pillow, while he was using it I just had to [​IMG] [​IMG] At least she didn't poop there. She had been on my couch. I'm very thankful it wasn't runny poops since she's a layer but hasn't laid any lately from the heat. She is my oldest Americauna, about a year and a half. She did leave a trail of everywhere she had been. [​IMG]

4. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    That is too funny!! [​IMG]

Too bad you didn't get a picture of that! It would have been priceless!!!

Jean

5. LittleChocobo

LittleChocobo Chirping

May 31, 2010
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    [​IMG]
    I hope your bumblefoot patients get better. I heard of one person raking and sweeping their run out to get the sharp things - it turned out their neighbor's teenagers had thrown a party and tossed a bottle over the fence, getting glass in the run/coop. Maybe try that? I doubt you have glass, but if you have recurring foot problems you might want to rake the run out if you can.
    My sympathy for your rough morning! I'm sure you'll make it to Chickenstock -- just think of it as getting everything out of the way that could possibly go wrong in the days leading up to it. Maybe that'll help..?
    Gotta say, though, poop all over the floor isn't much fun. My silkies for a while thought they could fly (they can't) and would flutter around and jump out of their brooder box or jump off of me to explore. More than once they woke me up by landing on my face. (The brooder was in my room / the storage room.)

6. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:I would bet it is from the glass. The run and coop get raked out once a month so it's not from there but the yard where there is just dirt has it everywhere. A previous tennant was a real nut case and would throw their belongings outside and break them all up. There is even glass from car windows out there. I always pick it up every day but we've lived here a year now and still I pick it up. The chickens are always scratching and when it rains hard it surfaces. I try to keep it picked up but they find it first most of the time. But the egg layers have been confined to their coop and run for quite a while now because the silkies are getting time out.
    I didn't get a chance to work in the other hen today. I spent the last 3 hours processing quail and i'm exhausted. I thought it was moving along pretty fast but I did 13 and it took me 3 hours. Not as fast as I thought. My first time so I guess not too bad. I went to the Quail message board and found a link to youtube somebody made that showed how they process quail. It didn't seem to take but a few minutes each. Oh well,
    Thats a good way to look at all the things going wrong is just getting them out of the way so w can go. I'llkeep that in mind so I don't go crazy. [​IMG]
    When I lived in Florida, one night my dog went nuts chasing something around my room I couldn't find it. I had told myself it was a lizard and i'm gonna get woke up with it looking at me. Sure enough. I felt something on my face during the night and it was that lizard staring me in the eye. Thats funny about your chicken. I have a couple that are real tame, two are americaunas and one is a sizzle. It was one of the americaunas that had bumble foot. The other one with it is a production red and a wild one. She used to be tame till she started laying. It changed her attitude and she thinks she is top hen too.

7. That's gotta be Lucky Duck! I put a pic of one of her babies on another thread.

*facepalms* I can just see an angry hubby with a smug hen on his pillow! She did that on purpose, you know! [​IMG]

Hope you get to the Chickenstock as planned; I know you've been looking forward to it for quite some time!

8. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:It was Spike that hopped in bed with him. Lucky Duck has it too I discovered yesterday. All the younger hens are good it's just the older ones. I imagine from all the glass around here.

I'll go see those pics. The two that I have here are getting some red o their feathers and although they have combs already they are such a light yellow i'm beginning to think they are pullets.

9. Tiffany

Tiffany Chirping

Jul 8, 2010
    Oh the words that my DH would have used if he had woken up to that. I think she would be on the table that very night!

10. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:Oh no. Spike is a favorite hen. Her daughter is even more tame than she is. And they are nearly identical. Both Americauna's. No frying pan for either of them. I've got another hen I have to treat for bumble foot and she will be a challenge. Although we've had her nearly as long as Spike and Lucky Duck has had a major injury before I think she's gonna be a challenge. She has attitude now where before when she was nursed back from herinjury she was a very good patient. She stayed in the house for a week till her wound healed enough the flies would'nt bother her then she was kept in a pen alone till the scabs where gone. I didn't want to risk re-injury. It's amazing what a chicken can go thru and heal so well. The skin was ripped from just under her ear to the base of her neck from one side to the other. I don't know how it happened but I was feeding them and her and her sister came running to me to eat and I noticed something hanging. Then noticed the bare neck. There was no blood which I thought was very strange and she acted like nothing was wrong. I would have been begging for help. Anyway, she has bumble foot on both feet but it soesn' look to be as bad as Spikes but I also didn't see hers till she got her soaking. I found 3 spots on Spike where I can already see 1 on each foot of Lucky Ducks. I just hope I don't find any more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by