Forgot my eggs at the farm. Are they okay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by huckleberryfarm, Oct 13, 2010.

1. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    I left my collected eggs at the farm sitting outside. Can't remember where. It was close to 80 today but not terribly sunny. Will they be okay if I refrigerate them tomorrow morning? We don't live at the farm and I didn't remember until tonight. [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If they were in direct sunlight, I probably would discard them.

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I think, I would boil them and feed them to dogs or even to your chickens.. I have eaten eggs that had been left out all day --when it was 105*.. But they were in the dark coop/in the even darker nest box.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Do like Dixiedoodle says....shame to waste them.

Sandie

5. FinsUp

FinsUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    lake oswego flats
    dito dixiedoodle - why, because that was fun to say, 2 I would do the same if you are worried about the eggs - scramble and feed to the chicks - they will love you for it.

Again: dito dixiedoodle - so fun to say!!!

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    They'll be fine. If you think there may be a problem, boil them for egg salad or deviled eggs or crack them into a bowl, sniff and use for baking--I wouldn't do either since they were only out a day or so. Heck, a brooding hen leaves eggs sitting for a week or longer before setting and they're fine. Some people are just too brainwashed by the USDA's insistence that commercial eggs be washed then refrigerated to realize that once laid a egg will keep for weeks as long as it isn't washed. Your birds went through too much to lay those eggs, there is no reason to waste them.

7. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Cook em up, if they seem off to you, give em to the dogs. I wouldnt worry about it.

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:I wouldn't waste good, farm-fresh eggs on a dog. [​IMG].

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  9. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    IMO, I would'nt worry about them at all. There are many days where our temps (over the summer) reach far above 80 and we might not collect eggs until late afternoon or the next morning. Haven't had a problem yet.

10. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in Texas where we are above 80 a good part of the year. I'd eat them...if they taste a bit off then give them to the girls...they will eat ANYTHING! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by