forgot to remove the egg turner and now chicks are hatching!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farm fresh uggs, Dec 17, 2010.

1. farm fresh uggs

farm fresh uggs New Egg

Nov 30, 2010
    Hi everyone, I have been a 'lurker' on this site for about a year now and finally joined up with the rest of the flock!

This is my 3rd hatch and I cannot believe that I forgot to remove the egg turner!! There are 25 eggs in there and 2 are zipping at the moment. Ugh!!! What to do, what to do???? I don't want them to get hurt, but I don't want to open the lid either.

Help Please!!

2. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    First off [​IMG]

It should be okay. Once I left the turner in there and my eggs hatched just fine.

3. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I have done this also, I just turn the egg turner off.. And watch to make sure they do not get stuck...

4. farm fresh uggs

farm fresh uggs New Egg

Nov 30, 2010
    Thanks for the big welcome!! [​IMG] Yep, I did turn the turner off on day 18. Yikes, been so busy getting things ready for Christmas my brain must have had a 'Mommy moment' and completely forgot about taking the turner out.

Now one has hatched completely and is free of the egg and is sitting in an empty spot.

So, I am guessing just wait until the others hatch and not open the lid, right???

5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    [​IMG] and howdy-do to you

just unplug the auto turner and let them be everything should be alright with them in the holders they'll hatch out and drop down in- between the racks, commercial hatchers hatch them upright in the holders, it'd be a long days work taking all those hundreds of eggs out and placing them on their sides on day 18 so they just leave them be. [​IMG]

catdaddy

Ok somebody beat me to it, I must've been typing as they were posting. I type like I talk (slooow)(from the deep south), [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  6. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Ah heck I don't always get all of mine out of the turners and they hatch with the turners on...wee I also remove them from the turners pipped on occasion and put them in the hatcher.They also do fine..then again I follow no lockdown rules and hatch nearly 100% all the time [​IMG] so I may not be the best to ask about the rules

7. KateBeauchemin

KateBeauchemin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    I've hatched in turner no problem! They were call ducks and at day 21 I got a chuck...

I had a small EE/cornish bantam egg same color as the call duck eggs. He was just sitting in the teacup at Disney world looking around. My hubby said he heard crowing in there, I called him a lair until I got home.

He always says that. I told him never say crowing!!!! So for all the roosters I blame him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by