Forgotten coop from the past...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bantam Bodon, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    While walking through the woods behind the old homestead, now used by no one, i came across the old chicken coop. This coop was built by my great grandfather. My dad said 50 years ago, when he was 12, it was in pretty good shape. As you can see now, much of it has fallen down, yet a good part of it still stands to this day. It used to be in a field but as you can see now there are nothing but trees. I could almost hear the ancient chickens clucking and scratching around when i looked at it. This coop stood the test of time, housed many chickens, gave our family eggs and meat and the fact that it still exists shows the hard work and old world craftsmanship of my great grandfather from Russia. It was a very nice piece of family history.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Make sure you take lots of pictures of it and write it all down somewhere. I live on family land in Tennessee and regret not doing that with the old houses and barns that I remember but have since fallen down. Neat story; thanks for posting it.

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    That is really cool, thanks for sharing something so special.

4. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    Thanks, and that is a good idea. Im glad my dad was with me or i wouldnt have known anything. He showed me the two wells, which both still had water in them. There are some fence posts that still stand. He showed me where all the cows were, which was close to that coop! Its hard to imagine no trees there considering there are so many now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by