forgotten egg peeping, what now?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by steward, May 27, 2010.

1. steward

steward Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    Hi all, I had a broody finally after 4 years of waiting!!! Yay!!! Well she did o.k. hatched 5 of 12. I knew they had been laid over at least several days so when she lost interest in the remaining eggs in favor of her already hatched and incredibly cute chicks I figured I'd pop a few of the remaining eggs in the bator... Well Now a few days later I hear peeping!! My problem is that I did not put the eggs in a carton and now I am afraid it will die from being too weak and rolling around in the mostly empty bator. I can not see any pips. Can I open the bator, mist the egg, put it in a carton and close it back up... or let it take it's chances. Seems like I have bad luck when they roll around. Ant one have any experience?? Waiting anxiously!!

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    They'll be fine. I don't use a carton and my chicks, except some not so good hatches this month do fine. My unsuccessful hatches were do to clear eggs and quiters, not from hatchig out.

Congratulations BTW!

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I would open it, if it is a air circulated incubator. I would be more careful with a still air incubator, because they need so much longer to get temp and humidity redistributed.
    Katharina

4. steward

steward Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    Update!! It made it out of the egg!![​IMG] Long tough hatch but seems strong. Broody has about a week with her older chicks, do you think she might still take care of it? Thanks for the replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by