Formal hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by silarajc, Mar 28, 2017.

1. silarajc

silarajc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2017
    Western Missouri
    I already posted about an emergency in a chick, but here's my formal intro. My husband and I recently purchased land in Missouri and our first addition was chicks! I bought 25 mixed pullets and a cuckoo maran cockerel and an americana cockerel, and the hatchery threw in a mystery rare chick.

So far, we lost one in shipping, one the first day, and then the poor little guy with a bum leg that I posted about previously. We only have one of the cockerels left, I think he's the maran. I think I have leghorns and golden sex-link...maybe some orpingtons. We'll see what they turn out to be when their feathers come in.

I am enjoying the chicks so much more than I thought I would. Yes, they are cute and fuzzy, but they are so entertaining to watch! They are now a week old, and I hope the remaining ones stay as healthy as they are now! I'll post a pic of the group later.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, silarajc, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Sorry you've hit a few bumps with your first batch of chickens. Sounds like the remainder are happy and healthy. BYC is a friendly group so post any questions you have along the way.
    Best wishes and thanks for joining us!! [​IMG]

3. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Chicken tv is the best show around!

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Love me a chicken, or two..or three...or............................................................................

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. silarajc

Mar 27, 2017
    Western Missouri
    [​IMG]

My first and current flock! The guy on the rock is "Bear". One week old and he's already watching out for the flock. I'm pretty sure I have some leghorns and golden sex-linked, maybe buff orpingtons? We'll see as they get older.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jmcggnj6

Jmcggnj6 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2017
    SE Kansas
    [​IMG]Careful once you start you just can't stop....I said absolutely no chick's this year because we have about 25 chickens already....well I came home with 15 new babies this week....

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  8. silarajc

Mar 27, 2017
    Western Missouri
    :) Your babies are super cute! I'm already thinking of adding some blue egg layers!

Wondering if my reddish brown one in front might be a Welsummer? I can't wait to figure out what I have!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by